CV drive axles

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:27 pm

Paul Matty sells cv axles which are recommended only for road use. Has anyone used these for more aggressive driving such as auto cross etc.? The difference seems to be the flanges on theirs are made of aluminum not steel. Comments?
'67 s3 SS
'72 +2 S130
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm

I have purchased two sets from a great guy in Austrailia at the following address.
http://www.elantrikbits.com/cvinfo.html
One for Elan and the other for the +2 and both built well and will stand any kind of driving.
You might want to take a look.
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I?m also looking to replace my doughnuts and was considering the Mick Miller version at ?445 + VAT, also Spyder Engineering?s that retain the inner doughnut at ?450 + VAT for the road version and ?495 + VAT for competition use.

$1339 US from elantrikbits seems a bit expensive in comparison but that does include shipping from Australia to the UK.
I?m still sitting on the fence and waiting to be convinced which is the best.

Mark
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:24 am

Mark
I looked for some time at options. I have a couple of the dual ujoint shaft sets and have found them to bind on full droop so I had to put travel limit straps on each strut.
The kits from aus went on with easy installs for both. Col uses a vw cv joint and should be easy for service parts after a ton of miles. Also came with good instructions to follow and are fitted with grease zerks. Col followed up with me after each set to make sure all went well and on the second set he even hand lapped in the ball bearings on the cv joint to make sure it was a very smooth operating joint.
If you can't tell I am very happy with these units and would purchase again.
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mct340 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Get them from Mr. Bean (Dave). Tough enough for anything. Don't forget to upgrade the inner and outer stubs as well. Not cheap but worth it. Might as well get the LSD while you are at it. See you at the autocross.
Mike
mct340
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: