Elan 2 + 2 Gearlever Gaiter

PostPost by: Phil W » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:43 pm

Another question:

Any ideas where I can acquire a replacement gear lever gaiter?
Phil W
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi Phil,

I think there's one on the UK ebay at the moment.

Take care,
Peter
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Phil,

Originally they came off Rover P4's if you know anyone who has one Guess not??

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Phil W » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks for that Gordon. I know where I might get one.
Phil W
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:00 am

Is a gear lever gaiter what we call a shift boot in the states? If yes, rdent enterprises in Pennsylvania has them.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Secondary question Guys,

I always thought there was both an inner and an outer gaiter. Anybody ever seen an inner gaiter?

Would be handy to have as I've always had trouble getting a good seal with the outer. The odd bit of engine smell (hot oil) and heat sneak in under the centre console. I don't mind but herself gets a bit travle sick from the smell.

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Hamish,

There is an inner gaitor, it fits over the gear box Spherical nylon nut, a rubber inverted top hat affair with no top on it. Imagine a thin sheet of rubber the same size as the rectangular opening in the body. This has a hole the same size as the spherical nylon nut where a rubber thin wall tube is attached, a length to suit, 1/2" - 1" if I remember right, so it pushes over the nylon nut and gives you the seal you are looking for. I think you could knock one up with some rubber sheet and a tube of suitable adhesive. (eg Super glue) It is held down with some under-felt (sound proofing) and the centre console, arm rest. I had my back seat assembly out last week, only put it back yesterday, I have to remove this to get the front centre arm rest out. Next time I take it out I will photograph it for you, but not just yet. I've just finished the car for Donington having just changed the differential.

Gordon
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gordonlund » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:41 pm

Hamish,

Have a picture of the seal.

Gordon
Attachments
Elan box seal.JPG
It's only thin black rubber maybe 1/16" thick at the most.
Elan box seal.JPG (2.4 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
gordonlund
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks Gordon,

Mystery solved and a solution at hand. Looks like a piece of inner tube should do the trick for the flat bit and a short length of bicycle inner tube for the sleeve part. That's Saturday afternoon sorted then!

Thanks again.

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Gordon,

The picture also explains why there was a rectangular metal plate screwed to the body at the gear lever opening but there was nothing attached to it.

Hamish.
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Phil W » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Hamish Coutts wrote:Secondary question Guys,

I always thought there was both an inner and an outer gaiter. Anybody ever seen an inner gaiter?

Would be handy to have as I've always had trouble getting a good seal with the outer. The odd bit of engine smell (hot oil) and heat sneak in under the centre console. I don't mind but herself gets a bit travle sick from the smell.

Hamish.

You and me both Hamish. She hates the smell and won't travel in it. Haven't seen this inner gaiter before and will cerainly investigate making one up!
Phil W
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 pm

Wow, the things I am still learning after 30 years of Plus 2 ownership. Mine has a pleated lower gaiter, identical to the upper one. The lower one is secured to the body shell by the rectangular metal piece as shown in the image supplied by Gordon. The style of gaiter shown in this image makes so much more sense. I thought mine was in original configuration. Maybe they had just run out of lower gaiters in Norwich on the day mine needed one and two were taken from the upper gaiter bin.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Phil,
Whereabouts in Cheshire are you?
Cheshire Lotus Owners Group (CLOG) meets at Swettenham Arms, 1st Sunday in month, 13:30; couple of +2 experts in the gang!
Next major group outing is Gawsworth Classic Car Rally 7th May, but you can find us at Oulton Park and severial(!) pubs across Cheshire most nights of the week. :twisted:

Cheers,
Pete.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/clog/
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Phil W » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:29 pm

Pete

I'm in Ellesmere Port!

Looking at the illustrations in workshop manual it appears that the inner sleeve only shown forfour speed box.
Phil W
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:27 pm

I got very curious about the drawing of the seal posted by Gordon. I spent 15 minutes with the service and spare parts manuals for both the Elan and +2 last night. Sure enough, the illustration provided by Gordon is in the gearbox section of the +2 service manual. However nothing like it appears in the spares book. The spares book lists only the pleated gaiter (050 F 6000) and this is used in two locations, both secured to the body shell and the center console (essentially two nested inside one another). Therefore the configuration of my +2S matches what I see in the spares book. Does the seal shown in the service manual actually exist? I have found plenty of bad information in the service manuals, such as all of the dimensions shown in the +2 front suspension drawing actually being for the Elan.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: