Replacing bleed nipple on clutch slave

PostPost by: James » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:12 am

Clutch is locking up occasionally; won't depress, then works 5-sec. later. Clutch fluid is really dirty; attempt to flush it failed as slave cylinder bleed nipple is broken off (explains why fluid was so dirty in the first place.) How difficult is removing the slave cylinder? This is Vancouver...it's raining like hell out there...car's in the garage but I'm a tad hung-over and don't want to crawl under the damn thing right now. I figure it doesn't rain in G.B. so you guys do this kind of task all the time. Any handy advice?

Cheers
James
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:45 am

Doesn't rain in GB-you should try living in Glossop,by the sounds of it it will probably be seized in its mounting,maybe time for a new one......

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:12 pm

Have had success getting a broken bleed nipple out with one of those reverse threaded taps used for getting broken bolts/studs out
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:22 pm

"How difficult is removing the slave cylinder?"

James,

As I recall, the slave cylinder is held in the bell housing by a circlip that goes around the slave. Once you remove the pipe, the push rod, and the circlip, you should be able to knock it out with a hammer if it is corroded in.
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:57 pm

NOTE The circlip can be a right pain to get off / on. Circlip plier are a great help here.

Ping what was that flying passed by ear!
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Probably not what you want to hear but by the time you've got the slave cylinder out and removed the bleed nipple you could have fitted a complete new cylinder. Of course if the fluid has never been changed there could be a problem with the master cylinder as well :(

P*ss*ng it down in England with a chilly wind and icy roads overnight. Typical "repairing Lotus outside" weather.
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 pm

This explains why the first step in my winter rebuild project was, "Insulate garage and finish interior walls" :)
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:04 pm

i ignored this advice, don't make my mistake: just replace the whole clutch slave cylinder when you get it off. Do the master too.

the poor condition of your brake fluid means that the whole system has been stressed and you're gonna have to do it all in the really near future. I did just the slave, then sure enough, a month later, I had to do the master.

At the very least, replace the rubber seals on both cylinders with one of the "repair" kits. The problem is that your bores are probably pretty pitted and that fix will only last so long. then the leaks start again, and impossble to get good responsiveness.

It's a pain to get too, and the others are right, getting the circlip off it going to be really hard (like an extra hour of work) without a circlip pliers.

just trying to be helpful. Jeff
67 S3 DHC
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: