5-speed propshaft removal

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:38 am

Please can anyone tell me whether it is possible (or easy :) ) to remove the propshaft from a 5-speed +2 without removing either the engine & gearbox or the diff ?

I know that the 4-speed one can be removed relatively easily, as it is only bolted to the diff - the gearbox end just slides out.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:20 am

Matthew

I have never done it on my 5 speed plus 2. You can see the bolts on the gearbox end of the prop shaft though the access hole in the standard Lotus chassis but I have never tried to actually undo them or do them up though the hole.

On the sypder chassis you can also see the bolts though the holes in the bottom chassis closing plate but again I have never tried to actually undo the bolts though these holes. It is proably more possible on the spyder chassis as with 2 people you could get one spanner up fropm the bottom and one from the side access hole.

I always have pulled the Engine and Gearbox by disconnecting the prop shaft at the diff end.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:25 pm

Rohan,

Thanks for that. I'll wait until there's a need to remove the engine/gearbox in that case.... :)

Best wishes,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: