Solid driveshafts - do they improve the driving experience?

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:19 am

I bought my first used Elan around 1972, it was an S2. I've owned six Elans and one +2. Never had a problem with the donuts EVER but I've never bought modern replacement rubber units.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CSICO » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:38 am

After having had some unpleasant surprises (see picture of last one) I will now change to solid driveshafts, heavy duty diff. carriers and all related parts. However, I think as long the car is original and driven in a relatively decent manner there won't be a lot of problems with the rotoflex couplings.
Attachments
theculprit.jpg and
no comment (at about 120km/h somewhere in the swiss alps, no side barriers, loads of rocks...)
CSICO
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:05 pm

CSICO wrote:After having had some unpleasant surprises (see picture of last one) I will now change to solid driveshafts, heavy duty diff. carriers and all related parts. However, I think as long the car is original and driven in a relatively decent manner there won't be a lot of problems with the rotoflex couplings.

... This will only report your suspictions on other parts of the car ...
These are not the most unpleasant surprise you can get ...
Just think about a dead left front wheel bearing on knock on ... and imagine the sound of the 5 drive pegs on the inner wheel arche - just like bullets !- when the free wheel is back on the hub and pushing them against the brake caliper ... Imagine your next reaction when hitting the brake pedal ... whatever the landscape .
The Elan is so light , so simple than every part remain almost essential (power windows apart ! but are able to cut 1 or 2 fingers when closing ! ) and need attention to keep its drive a pleasure. No !?!
Christian.( when back to Le Mans Classic 06'...)
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: