Solid driveshafts - do they improve the driving experience?

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Back to the original question; I changed to the Sue Miller set up last year not because of the "kangaroo" effect which I think is overstated but for reasons of economy. Current roroflex production doesn`t seem to last long. I never, in recent Elan ownership, nor back in the 60s/70s with S1,S3, and 2 Sprints, had any problem with wind up etc. Nowadays we do classic rallies and stuff with autotests, much wheelspinning etc. so durability is paramount.
I actually find the driving experience with the Sue Miller`s Shafts marginally less smooth, particularly as you come off the power. I haven`t noticed any improvement in handling, nor did I expect to.
I`d still recommend them but purely for longevity (hopefully) and simple economics.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:11 pm

All good stuff folks - keep the opinions coming! :D
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:06 pm

What do you learned guys consider the feasability of using "NOS" donuts in the future that I have had stored in good dry conditions for almost 20 years?

Cheers
Barney
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Worth putting them on and giving them a try. Rubber normally deteriorates over the years to due to ozone attack breaking down the rubber molecule crosslinking and small cracks starts appearing in the surface. If no signs of significant cracking they should work OK but i would watch them closely for the first few week of use to ensure nothing unusual.

As with all donuts you need to watch closely and inspect regulalrly for cracks developing as a crack can develop to total failure very quickly and life can be unpredictable.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 pm

I have a couple of 30 year old doughnuts still wrapped in plastic and steel banding. They still have the Chrysler logo on the package... I guess I'm saving them for a rainy day!

S.
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:15 am

Spanner,
If they have the Chrysler logo, check that they are the interleaved donuts, the originals (pre Sprint?) didn't have the metal inteleaves and they are softer with more wind-up.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 am

If the Chrysler ones are for the Imp, aren't they the wrong size anyway? Certainly all the ones I ever bought for my Imps were non-interleaved.

Roy
'65S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi Mike... yup they're the wind-up variety! Have the updated interleave type installed now. Thanks.

Hi Roy... Back in my "boy racer days", I use to buy these at the local Chrysler dealer for cheap... they must of fit. Maybe I shouted them into place!
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm

With my car finally back on the road and a few shakedown runs complete, I can weigh in on this. I used donuts forever, most recently replacing them in 2004. I was generally not bothered by the bounce and only had one outright failure, although the donuts I replaced in 2004 couldn't have taken much more hard use. I purchased my CV kit from RD Enterprises - these include uprated diff output shafts that mate directly with the inner CV joint, no need for an adapter.

I did have to fit droop limit cables despite assurances to the contrary. As I think I've mentioned elsewhere, this was due at least in part to the top perches for the narrow springs, which lower the tops of the (standard) Koni strut inserts in relation to the mounts.

The driving experience is pretty much unaffected - certainly not affected in any negative way. It just feels like a proper car, but then it did before, too. I have a new heavy-duty clutch with a smooth and progressive take-up, and that helps. I think that if I were competing or really driving the car hard, I might notice a difference. It is reassuring to know that I don't have to worry about Rotoflex failure, anyway.

Does this mean I have to change my nom de post?
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm

I suggest:

"RotoInflexible" OR "NoRotoFlexible".

But I am sure there will be some better suggestions along real soon!

:lol:
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Doh! Nuts :lol:
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Doh! Nuts :lol:
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:15 pm

In my experience, they always fail with the rubber spearating from the metal plates. I check them at least once a year (i.e. on the MoT test!) by jacking up the rear by the chassis & spinning the wheels. They crack & creak when the rubber begins to split away from the metal, but they can still have a lot of life in them after this... It depends how 'hard' you drive. :wink:

I once had one where the MoT tester suggested it was driven home very slowly as they were falling apart - he was right! When I took them apart the rubber segments literally fell on the floor, but there was enough 'stick' for them to work under 'normal' road driving. :shock:

I find replacing them as easy as any other job on a Lotus! Having an inspection pit helps though. :)

For me, the 'softness', 'surge', whatever you want to call it, is part of the Elan character, although it is more noticeable on the heavier +2. It encourages a smoother driver style & gear changes - something that is probably being lost by drivers of modern abuse-resistant cars... :lol:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:04 pm

elansprint71 wrote:The solution is to fit Tony Thompson heavy duty top diff mounts. These are the absolute business and it is what all the serious racers in the UK use. I've had them in for about 3 years now.

Cheers,
Pete.

Managed to find a photo of the failed "new" mount and the TT item. :P
Attachments
Diff mounts copy.jpg and
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi

I know this might seem sacreligious but has anybody tried the imp competition donuts?

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: