clutch not working

PostPost by: JeffP » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:08 pm

I hope this is simply a stuck clutch. Got my 69 Plus 2 reno project started, but not able to get the clutch working. Engine and gearbox have sat out of the car in a garage for about 18 months. No new work was done on them. Everything was fine when I took them out. New clutch master and slave cylinder, new braided steel clutch pipe (aeroquip type). Clutch seems to have bled ok. With the rear wheels off the ground manual turning of the wheels seems to indicate the clutch is not working. Have made as much adjustment as possible. Have about 1/2 to 1 inch play at top of pedal and then quite a firm clutch. Control are moves about 3/4-1 inch .

Having read various posts it would appear that I have a stuck clutch - so will proceed with some of the attempts to free it.

Anything else I should consider, tests to do , issues to investigate etc.

Many thanks
JeffP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:27 pm

Try vacuum or pressure
Leave clutch depressed overnight

Do a search, yours is the same as others. Same issues
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:30 pm

Hi Jeff.
Try this.
Put it in top gear, press the clutch and brake pedal together and switch the ignition to start. the starter motor torque may free it.
It sometimes works.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:15 pm

I thought I had a stuck clutch issue and I tried everything to release it but couldn't. A wise chap from our local Lotus club came over to help. He sat in the car and immediately diagnosed that the problem was the master cylinder push rod. It was too small.
He pointed out that at rest both clutch snd brake pedals should be level. Mine were not.
I kept my old master cylinder so I swapped the rods over bled and adjusted and it is fine now.
Worth a check.
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: