Sound Proofing

PostPost by: Ramsden » Tue May 04, 2004 7:37 pm

There has been some discussion in the Plus 2 section on ways of cutting down the exhaust noise when travelling at motorway speeds.

My plus 2 has a PMS stainless steel exhaust and K&N's. This creates a great soundtrack to any A or B roads but, I suspect, contributes to the ringing in my ears that occurrs after prelonged periods of motorway cruising.

Before touching either the exhaust or the filters, however, I thought I'd look at sound insulation. I'm considering removing the old horse hair matting and replacing it with modern non abosorbant foam material. Also looking at sound proofing in the Engine bay e.g. underside of bonnet.

Before doing so, however, I thought I'd canvas opinion on other people's experiences with this.

All comments welcome.

Simon
Ramsden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanplus2 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:54 pm

Hi,

I am currently going through the exact same process with my Plus 2 and i intend trying a product called acoustop barrier wrap in the engine bay and inside of the firewall and Acoustop underaly for under the carpets. I will post the resulkts of my trials in due course!

www.acoustop.com

No afiliation bla bla bla.

Ray
elanplus2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed May 05, 2004 12:07 am

A lot of it is constant exhaust noise at 5800 RPM or so, if you're really talking highway speeds. A large muffler can really quiet that down (no fun.)
Insulating the passenger pod Really well and making sure ALL rubber engine, transmission, and exhaust to frame/BODY mountings are proper, and in like new condition helps immensely. Make sure the exhaust tips extend far enough back, whether slanted or straight cut? ... and then, we've got a 32+ year old fiberglass sports car that sounds like a 32+year old fiberglass sports car.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: