Help in Driving Position

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:24 am

Hi all,
Been about 20 years since I drove an Elan Sprint. Last time (2004) is when I bought back my Sprint from Bill R and drove it from from Seattle in an attempt to get to Buffalo NY. (via Louisville KY where my brother lives) Only made it to Kansas City.

I drove my recently acquired Sprint to work today. Only about 2 miles. It all seemed different to me. The steering wheel was too far away. Not a lot but I noticed it. Can that be moved?

My right leg was bent up, with my foot at a weird angle because the accelerator pedal was so high. But my left leg was straight down when I pushed in the clutch.

And the last thing is the shifter is not as crisp and direct as I remember. I seem to recall there is a cap at the bottom of the shifter that sometimes comes loose.

Any ideas welcome.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:03 am

All that can be adjusted, some with effort. The steering column adjustments may not become clear until going all the way to disassembly. There is a cinch bolt under the number plate on the column that allows quite a bit of fore and aft.

Pedals I have found less workable, so I keep bashing out new pedals and putting them into the box. I've got a TTR LHD box, which has a horrible friction problem designed in, so I've built several throttle pedals to be independent of the main axle. The standard box looks like it has no such problem.

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:39 pm

Ahh, sometimes reality does not live up to memory

You can tighten the ball, but the Elan was so much better than everything else 30+ years ago, but newer cars have gotten tighter, if not more accurate. I see people complain about 'slop' in the Elise shifter, when all I feel is the cable grating against the housing

The collapsible column might move an inch if that much. I have had a reclining seat in my+2 for 35 years...

You might be able to lower the throttle pedal a bit by loosening the cable

Adding 20 pounds to ones backside can have an effect on the ergonomics of the car...not that I know anything about that..........
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:22 pm

Been working on all this using the great recommendations from you all. Adjusted the throttle cable and it is more like I remember it
Now it is workable. That allowed me to take the seat up a notch, which helped the driving position. Now I will work on the shifter issue.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
72 Elan Sprint, 93 Caterham (Bought new), 05 Elise RD (Bought new),
99 Elise190, 05 Elise BLK (Bought nearly new), 2024 Emira, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: