Hood Question - (Soft top for our colonial friends)

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 2:13 pm

Hi all,
I have a question re hoods. However to ask this question I have plagiarized a photo of Tim's (sorry Tim).

My hood is not original after 51 years and was replaced by me around 20 years ago with one from Sue Miller, the quality and fit being excellent. When I fitted this hood I made it detachable, primarily as I didn't know any better as (i) this was my first elan and (ii) by the time I bought the car the hood had already been replaced (not very well, may I add) and it too was detachable.

I am now thinking I want to be able to fold up the hood and stow it away (I can hear the groans already) the reason being is that it takes up a fair amount of boot space (I also carry the original tonneau) and to protect the windows I wrap it up which takes even more space. And lastly if I get caught in a down pour it takes ages to fit with all the faff.

So my question is, and I use Tims picture here was the original hood front securing lip in three sections and if so can you buy hoods like this anywhere made from Everflex?

thanks
Mark
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-08-14 at 07.28.09.png and
Last edited by mark030358 on Wed Aug 14, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Aug 14, 2024 3:28 pm

Hi Mark. My original hood was actually in four sections at the front. It had what looked like unserated hacksaw blades - 2 small and 2 of a longer length. Each side from the central windscreen rod had a long piece of blade, with the shorter piece of blade being at the outer end near the single stud.

These smaller blades allowed the hood to be folded inwards when stored as per the owners manual instructions and led to a better fit in the hood tray.

I’m not aware of any newer hoods being of the same design, my - now 20 year old replacement - has a 2 long blades, one for each side of the windscreen rod.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:15 pm

My hood’s front lip is in one piece, and I have no difficulty folding it away per the written instructions.
The previous owner brought it some time between 2016 and 2019, but I don’t know who from.
I’d try Sue Miller for advice.
See photos. You can see the fold lines in the second one.
Attachments
IMG_7497.jpeg and
IMG_2620.jpeg and
IMG_2619.jpeg and
IMG_2618.jpeg and
IMG_2617.jpeg and
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:24 am

Mark
In answer to part of your question, I would think that possibly an Everflex hood would be treated as a special as most Elan hoods are vinyl type material. So you may need to talk to people like Aldridge Timmers or Newton Commercial to duiscuss a price. I have recently had a hood made for my E Type by Jack at BAS.
They are worth talking to as they have virtually every machine on site for making all sorts of interior fittings and will make a hood to order.

Jack is especially knowledable and does most of the fitting, so has much knowledge of workarounds should there be a problem.

BAS International Ltd.
10-13, Llantarnam Park Ind Est,
Cwmbran,
S.Wales,
NP44 3AX,
United Kingdom

Tel (+44)01633 873664
[email protected]

Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear