Proper tough paints?

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:25 pm

Hi

I've been using Simoniz "tough paint" satin black so far during my S4 restoration. It goes on nicely, gives a good finish but it does not seem too tough. Scratches easily. For undercoat I use a zinc primer called Bonda Rust Primer, which dries like red oxide and contains zinc. It appears to be cellulose based, whereas the Simoniz product is acrylic (though resistant to petrol, which I have tested to my satisfaction).

Anyway.. I'm looking into other satin black paints in the hope of finding something properly durable, as I think the Simoniz product isn't that tough.

Do you have any recommendations?

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:22 pm

Interesting... but similar to my experience.

I have just redone the interior ABS plastic trim of my S2 Elise as the Senotex soft touch paint went all tackey.

So after some deliberation and research I used SEM color coat, which is a plastic paint and has excellent reviews. However, like yourself I have found that it marks a little and is not scratch proof. So to get rid of this I thought about applying some mat clear coat, whch you would expect to set rock hard.

Anyway, bought some 1K matt clear coat and teied it on a test piece, guess what, it still marks. I think the only way to stop this is professional 2K paint.

Anyone wish to help ..... as I could do with a non scratch matt clearcoat that will go on over SEM color coat.

thanks
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: promotor » Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:15 pm

JonB wrote:Hi

I've been using Simoniz "tough paint" satin black so far during my S4 restoration. It goes on nicely, gives a good finish but it does not seem too tough. Scratches easily. For undercoat I use a zinc primer called Bonda Rust Primer, which dries like red oxide and contains zinc. It appears to be cellulose based, whereas the Simoniz product is acrylic (though resistant to petrol, which I have tested to my satisfaction).

Anyway.. I'm looking into other satin black paints in the hope of finding something properly durable, as I think the Simoniz product isn't that tough.

Do you have any recommendations?

Cheers
JonB

I'm not too sure about whether you can get the colour or finish you need but Raptor paint is the first brand that comes to mind - I've heard it gives good results although I've never used it.
I think it's used on truck beds etc in hard working environments and is supposedly extremely hard to mark.

Worth a look into perhaps?
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:50 am

That's what's in my wheelarches. Doesn't have a great finish but maybe that is a particular variant for stone chip protection.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:36 pm

Just finished applying Raptor tintable bed liner in my Falcon Ranchero. Tried to match the vehicles paint color. Came close, but no cigar. In my case, the matching tint was not quite the same from the paint supplier. Oh well. One thing I learned about spraying the product is, spray from a far distance, like across the bed, in circular motions. Lays down a much nicer finish.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:09 pm

If it's for metal I find Hammerite Satin Black as good as anything and pretty durable for a rattle can product that's not a two pack.

That or Rustoleum but I always seem to have problems with the nozzle blocking on the Rustoleum product.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:59 am

I have had great success with POR15. I realise there is limited choice of colour but if you can manage with black or mid grey it is a very tough paint. I brush painted the chassis on my Elan following sandblasting and the stuff just shrugs off everything-brake fluid, rocks and gravel. After many thousands of miles of use on gravel there is Not One Chip on the chassis!
Sliding the Elan on the Bella Coola run.jpg and
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: