Fuel Filler Hole Size

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:36 am

Hello,

Does anyone have a bare Elan body nearby where they can measure the diameter of the hole that the fuel filler tube goes through please? At sometime in the past a PO has deleted the usual flip type filler cap on my S3, and then glassed in a cap and tube (the tube had a flange around it) flush to the top of the body. This was because they had also fitted a non-standard long range fuel tank.
I have cut out the flange and tube, but that now leaves an over sized hole. Luckily most of the "recess" that accepts the flip cap is still there, so I just have to add some more fibreglass, and then cut a new hole to accept a new filler tube grommet.
I have measured a new grommet at 75mm (when it's on the tube), but I would really like a measurement of the actual hole.

Cheers in advance

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TrevorJones » Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Hi Mike
I have a bare 1968 +2 shell and the hole for the filler is 2.5". I also have a 1967 S3 which has the same filler and cap. Hope this helps
TrevorJones
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:08 pm

Mike,

I cannot comment on the original hole size, as I had to open up the hole to fit the grommet. I could not find a grommet to fit the original hole in the body.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: