Pedal box location

PostPost by: coffeeshopracer » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:43 am

Reposting on the dedicated tech forum.

I bought a project elan with a brand new body last year. The pedal box came installed by the PO but something doesn't seem correct and I need some help identifying what it is and how to fix it. The gas pedal is right up against the tunnel (with no carpet!) and the brake pedal is 4" from the tunnel. From some pics I've seen on this forum for rhd s3 the brake pedal should be approx 5.5" so I'm around 1.5" too close to the tunnel. The problem is that my master cylinder reservoir ( tandem type) is slammed right up against the fender so I cant push the pedal assm more outboard. What am I missing? Can anyone with a lhd tandem master cylinder car measure the distance from the brake to the tunnel? Thanks.
Attachments
PXL_20240616_055906039.jpg and
PXL_20240616_060019628.NIGHT.jpg and
coffeeshopracer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:20 am

I vaguely remember a post where somebody did a cut out in the fender to enable the pedals to be moved further to the left.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:44 am

On my lhd Sprint, the measurement from the middle of the brake pedal to the tunnel is approximately
4 7/8". As a caveat, I had spread my pedals a bit so I 'm measuring near the top of the pedal arm
(where I didn't bend it) straight across to the tunnel (carpeted). I think the tunnel is vertical at this
point. I did not push in (when measuring) the carpet, so add about 3/4" or so for the jute and carpet.

The flange on my resevoir just touches the inner fender. However you have a bulge there; mine
does not have that bulge in that location.

Looking at your pictures, I'll bet the PO, or some PO, cut the hole for the brake master cylinder
in the wrong location to accomodate the bulge.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:17 am

Hello
PM sent
I hope it helps. I think the upper mounting is wrong.
Greetings Urs
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: coffeeshopracer » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:42 pm

Thanks for the insight all and photos Urs. This confirms what I was afraid of....I need to cut the fiberglass and remount. Now just need to work up the courage to do just that!
coffeeshopracer
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: