Windscreen question

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed May 15, 2024 6:42 pm

My car is an early, non bonded windscreen, Plus 2.
I am wondering if it would be helpful to put a thin coat of silicon along the fiberglass flange in order to ensure no water leaks.
Also when installing the windscreen, is it an advantage to put string underneath the glass as suggested by some?
Thanks
Chris
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 pm

When I removed my windscreen a few years ago I found a rather large amount of silicone had been applied to the edges of the glass but can't recall whether or not there was any on the body. As I'm fairly certain that the glass had never been out before, I feel safe saying that that was how the factory did it.

I didn't bother with the string when putting the glass back in- seemed way too fiddly, and with no lock-strip in the seal, it took very little time or effort to get the lip of the rubber over the glass with simple tools. I think I used a plastic trim-tool for the most part.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue May 21, 2024 3:06 pm

When I fitted mine I used a product called 'Arbomast' a traditional non setting black windscreen sealant that remains flexible - not sure I would use silicone in this application. Think I got it from Frosts?

I fitted the rubber into the aperture first and then 'coaxed' the glass in using a plastic spatula type tool. Then the expander strip with one of the tools (which are inexpensive). Washing up liquid is a good lubricant to ease things along.

If you are using a new screen, or even a good existing one, I would strongly recommend sealing the edge of the glass using Tigerseal to stop moisture getting between the two sheets of laminated glass and making it go 'milky'
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri May 24, 2024 12:22 am

I just refitted the windscreen on my 1970 Plus 2S last Thursday for the 4th time, in association with a new cream colour vinyl roof covering.

I carefully assembled the windscreen, rubber strip and chrome trims, using lots of gaffer tape. I accurately marked the centres of the screen and the opening. I was looking for a non-curing mastic sealant, but could only find a low modulus silicon sealant (that "Arbomastic" seems to be what I was looking for ! ) which I laid on the outer body flange

And for the first time I got a helper when positioning the screen in the opening, which made all the difference.

I used a length of 1/4" rope, and then a bent knife fitting tool to get the rubber rim in place.

I put a bit of carpet with two concrete blocks on the windscreen when fitting to add some weight on.

It has gone into position perfectly, with the rubber seal evenly covering the gap. I noticed that even though the silicon has cured to an extent, shakedown over a few days has bedded it evenly, and there are no leaks !

When windscreen fitting goes wrong, it can be such a disaster, so I hope this helps !

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: