Umbrella handbrake mech restore

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:15 pm

Hi all

I’m at the stage of restoring the umbrella handbrake on my S4. I can’t work out how it comes apart. I saw a nice thread that shows separation of the outer sleeve (press the recessed dot on the shaft). The handle appears to be aluminium (or mazak?) and I see a rolled pin for the white push button. I think, if I take this out the button will come out and I can spray the handle and shaft. Does the handle come off, if so, how? Any advice for getting the cable off, and the other guts?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:10 pm

Hi Jon,
First press in the little button then you can pull the handle and ratchet assembly out of the outer casing and detach the cable from the handle, remove the split guide at the lower end of the outer casing and you can then remove the cable. Dismantling the ratchet assemble is straightforward as far as I remember. The white plastic release lever pivots on a brass pin which is screwed into the handle.

Handbrake lever.jpg and
Ratchet retaining clip release button
Handbrake release lever.jpg and
Release lever retaining pivot pin
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:08 pm

Thanks, that’s the picture I was about to post showing a screw head rather than a split pin. Thank heavens I didn’t have at it with a punch…

Now, for restoration I think a nice silk black paint will do the trick. Does the inner rod get a coat too?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:20 pm

Don't think I painted the internals .. just greased everything on assembly.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:28 pm

oldelanman wrote:Don't think I painted the internals .. just greased everything on assembly.

It does appear to be chromed...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:06 pm

When I refurbished one a few years ago, the internals were neither chromed or painted, but well greased.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 pm

Just finished Robin Read's excellent "Colin Chapman's Lotus" which relates another one of his "regulation wriggle rounds"

The regulations stipulated a "handbrake must be fitted" So he fitted a handle with a cable which directly pulled down the brake pedal !

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: