Wheel Arche Liners

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:31 pm

Does anyone produce Wheel Arche Liners for Elans and +2 Elans. To stop Stars in the Gelcoat from Stones.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to protect an expensive paint job.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi

I had never really thought about this before. Interesting idea. I was just going to paint the inside of mine with Gravitex. I guess some sort of stick on protector might be possible. Actual plastic liners, I think not........

I am sure there will be some innovative suggestions coming along soon.......

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:39 am

This occurred to be too, Alan. The Elise has them, I’m sure for that very reason.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:23 pm

We need someone at a wrecking yard to test fit what’s out there, I think the Elan and +2 are odd size from what I have seen in my yard.

Or 3D scan, make a mold for vacuum injection
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:21 pm

I've noted many modern cars have what appears to be material similar to woven outdoor patio carpet, also known as boat carpet. Anyone try this?

Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:48 pm

mastic mats, or the bitumen based self adhesive sheet used for anti drumming purposes inside door skins and the like, would work.

However, plenty of Gravitex in the wheel arches does the job just fine - you can lay it on really, really, thick and it will absorb stone impact energy. I did 15,000 hard miles in my last Plus 2 treated in this way and never had a single spider crack.

Saying that, the earlier Plus 2's have very thick fibreglass and are perhaps more resistant than the later ones where Chunky applied a bit of 'cost engineering' and made the GRP paper thin :o
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:48 pm

khamai wrote:I've noted many modern cars have what appears to be material similar to woven outdoor patio carpet, also known as boat carpet. Anyone try this?

Kiyoshi

My Evora had that stuff as wheel arch liners!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:27 pm

khamai wrote:I've noted many modern cars have what appears to be material similar to woven outdoor patio carpet, also known as boat carpet. Anyone try this?

Kiyoshi

Ensolite closed cell foam is very light and easy to install with adhesive. I used it on the underside of my wheel wells to prevent stone cracks.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:58 pm

Dan, how long has it been since the install? I'd be worried that the adhesive would lose
its stickyness over time.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: