Elan+2 pedal box

PostPost by: Mrozik » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:49 pm

Hi All
I have a problem with my pedal box. When I use the brake pedal it also moves the accelerator pedal making it a bit difficult to drive smoothly. I imagine its due to excessive wear? I'm wondering if I need a completely new pedal box or if there is a cheaper solution?
Thanks
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:19 pm

People have reamed out the bearing surfaces and put in a larger diameter shaft. I think others have gone for Rolls Royce solutions with things like bronze bearing surfaces.
IIRC most of the work is taking it out, especially if you haven't cut a removable panel in the top of the box!
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:38 pm

There should be a thin 'slip' washer between the pedal pivots on the shaft - perhaps there's some 'stiction' here?

..could be worth trying some spray lube from undernath and working the pedals to see if things improve.

Otherwise a pedal box 'refresh' may be needed
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:36 pm

Stiction you mean rusty.
Squirt penetrating oil and move them about.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mrozik » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:54 pm

Many thanks to All for the replies with suggestions.
I'll try the simpler solution first as this will save me a lot of work.
Cheers
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:10 pm

alan.barker wrote:Stiction you mean rusty.
Squirt penetrating oil and move them about.
Alan

'Stiction' could be rust or indeed anything else causing 'pick up' between adjoining parts such as congealed grease, grit or general dirt accumulation. As I also recommended lubrication is a good first start
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi Mrozic.
On the Elan there are lubrication holes on the top of the horizontal tube. I wonder if it the same on the Plus 2.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:39 pm

Plus 2 is just a solid 1/2" shaft. Only drillings are for the split pins to hold it in the pedal box.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:30 pm

When the pedals on my plus 2 started sticking I discovered that the shaft had moved. This resulted in the pedals pivoting on slightly different parts of the shaft and no longer moving freely.
I discovered that a screw had become loose on the engine side of the pedal box allowing the shaft to move out of position . The screw retains a spring clip that holds the shaft in position and when I pushed the shaft back into its original position and tightened the screw, the pedals were free again.
I don’t know if this is the standard arrangement or if it’s unique to my car.
I made several attempts at lubrication before I realised that the shaft had moved.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:56 pm

The shaft on my last elan had become so worn it looked like a crank. I needed to put in a new shaft and washers welded to the box as they have gone oval too

Speedo said 64k , pedal box said 164k ;)
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:35 pm

EPA wrote:When the pedals on my plus 2 started sticking I discovered that the shaft had moved. This resulted in the pedals pivoting on slightly different parts of the shaft and no longer moving freely.
I discovered that a screw had become loose on the engine side of the pedal box allowing the shaft to move out of position . The screw retains a spring clip that holds the shaft in position and when I pushed the shaft back into its original position and tightened the screw, the pedals were free again.
I don’t know if this is the standard arrangement or if it’s unique to my car.
I made several attempts at lubrication before I realised that the shaft had moved.
Ed

I don't think that's standard fitment. Mine is as Mbell describes and while I don't have my parts manual handy, I don't recall seeing anything different on that page.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:53 am

I made a new slightly undersize shaft in stainless then reamed and fitted bronze bushed to the pedals - smooth as silk.

And like Laika welded new thicker washers to the sides of the box
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: