Lotus Elan

Metallic rubing noise when turning right

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:44 am

Hello,

I'd like your opinion on a strange noise on my 1967 Elan S4 SE.
I have a metallic rubbing noise (difficult to describe in detail) which only happens when I turn right at a fairly steep angle.
As the speed increases, so does the volume of this noise.
The rear brake discs are new, the front discs are recent.
Do you know where it could be coming from?
Thanks
Last edited by Niklas777 on Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:08 am

worn rear bearing or loose front bearing allowing disk to contact caliper ? or rear rim contact A frame bolts ?

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 8828
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:46 am

rgh0 wrote:worn rear bearing or loose front bearing allowing disk to contact caliper ? or rear rim contact A frame bolts ?

cheers
Rohan


I have had all the bearings checked and they seem to be fine.
The rear rim though is an issue.
I had the A frame grinded but it could be that there is still a clearance issue.
The noise seems to come more from vibrations in the floor panel, but it could be that the vibrations are spreading.
Hard to tell.
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:49 am

Could it come from a geometry issue? I don't understand why it happens only when turning right, and no issue at all when turning left...

:x
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:03 am

Niklas777 wrote: The noise seems to come more from vibrations in the floor panel, but it could be that the vibrations are spreading.

If it’s a vibration could it be the exhaust catching somewhere as the engine moves on its mountings? Are the engine mountings good (not collapsed?)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3872
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:07 am

types26/36 wrote:
Niklas777 wrote: The noise seems to come more from vibrations in the floor panel, but it could be that the vibrations are spreading.

If it’s a vibration could it be the exhaust catching somewhere as the engine moves on its mountings? Are the engine mountings good (not collapsed?)


This is a very good point. I have to double check that.
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: ianthomson72 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 am

Check that the track rod ends aren’t rubbing on the discs when on lock.
ianthomson72
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 27 Feb 2011

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:18 pm

ianthomson72 wrote:Check that the track rod ends aren’t rubbing on the discs when on lock.


would that be on the front or on the rear?
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: ianthomson72 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:17 pm

That would be on the front. It’s something I noticed on my +2 The rod end cleared the disc in the straight ahead position but rubbed the disc on lock. This only happened on the LHS
ianthomson72
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 27 Feb 2011

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:36 pm

ianthomson72 wrote:That would be on the front. It’s something I noticed on my +2 The rod end cleared the disc in the straight ahead position but rubbed the disc on lock. This only happened on the LHS


Thanks Ian, How did you solve this?
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

PostPost by: ianthomson72 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:58 pm

I haven’t yet. The car is currently off the road. The rod end needs to be replaced as the rubber boot has perished. I just hope that the replacement has a bit more clearance.
ianthomson72
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 27 Feb 2011

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:15 pm

Just a quick update on this question.
I have slightly bent (by hand) the protective plates from the brake discs to give more clearance. After a quick test due to lack of time, the problem no longer appears. It could be that the plates were too close to the discs and were rubbing during right-hand turns.
I also noticed that a stabiliser bar silent block is completely destroyed.
I'm going to replace it

Thanks again for your help.
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 11 May 2023
Location: France

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests