Cabin to boot separation panel

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:21 pm

Has anyone considered or tried fitting a panel between the cabin and the boot cavity on the Plus 2? I've had a search through the forum but found nothing.
With the amount of modern materials out there something could possibly be achieved with aluminium or plastic sheets?
Reading about the stories of fumes and noise, a panel, coupled with the others modifications, could perhaps achieve a good result.
An idea is to fit a panel behind the seat and also one under the parcel tray. The boot brace and strut brace can potentially be utilised for fitment. If anyone has achieved this I'd be very interested in some pictures.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:01 am

Can’t open the pdf myself but does this help?

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=52602
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:46 am

I did do something similar on my Sprint.
I replaced the pressed fibre board rear bulk head with a panel made from sheet aluminium about 2mm thick.. The reason being it put some metal between me and the fuel tank.
Its worked OK for several years, but if I was doing it again I would look for a modern composite board with more thickness as the aluminium sheet seems a bit thin and flexes a bit.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:59 am

I opened the PDF and I think that's the board that goes between the fuel tank and the boot cavity. I could be wrong as I don't have any boards like that in mine.
I'm thinking, as cliveyboy has done, of manufacturing some thing that attaches behind the rear seat and is between the seat and tank. Then another board or sheet that is above the fuel tank but directly under the parcel tray.
I think there's enough bracing that could be somewhat adapted or modified with brackets to attach the sheets too. It's then a matter of strategically using foam or rubber to cushion and support, as well as reduce noise and fumes.
Can mock something up with cardboard to test out the feasibility.
If it looks like working I'll document it in the forum for all to see.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:56 am

There are already panels, the rear seat back and the parcel shelf. What do you want to achieve by adding duplicates?

If its reduce fumes you'd be better addressing the source of the fumes (fuel tank plumbing or boot seal), than try to fit new panels and get them air tight.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:41 pm

What sort of fumes? Fuel fumes?...Exhaust fumes? Either of these could have potentially serious consequences.
Your +2 should not be creating any fumes that are entering the cabin area. My thoughts are that you need to to track down the source and why this is happening.

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:43 am

Totally right on all accounts guys, any fumes should be eliminated at the source. I've read about the fuel filler problems and tank sloshing so will do the fuel breather modification.
Honestly I've only had it 2 months and driven it a few short kilometres before parking up due to having surgery. (Lots of forum reading during recovery) So any actual noise and fumes are mostly unknown at this stage. It's only what I've read from others experience and I'm just writing out loud I guess.
I'm hoping to try and make it a nicer driving experience by updating some of the technology without losing too much of the ethstetics. I figure if a modern chassis and motor can be used then a couple of extra panels won't hurt. All just speculation and thinking out loud so far, but happy to play around with it.
It's my first Lotus and after 60 days I've gotta say I see why everyone loves them.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:51 am

There are two modifications that you need to do to get rid of fuel smells both in the car and in your garage.
One is the original Club Lotus fuel mod which eliminates the original large fuel breather pipes that crossover above the rear interior headlining and the other mod is to fit a Mazda MX5 ( Miata) plastic anti-sloshing one-way valve in the actual fuel filler pipe.This stops the fuel backing up the filler pipe and sloshing out of the filler cap seal/vent.
My car when I bought it really stunk my garage out with fuel smells..really bad. I did both mods and completely eliminated any smell of fuel either in the garage or when driving the car.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Yep, those are the ones I'll do. I've had a good read through the forum and there's loads of info so it shouldn't be too hard.
The forum is outstanding and pretty much my first point of call for any info.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi

My plus 2 is an ex race car and has the boot area fibreglassed off from the fuel tank. Something to do with regulations. I can take some pictures at the weekend if it helps......

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:36 pm

Hi Berni
Yeah some photos would be great, as long as its convenient. Every bit helps.
Thanks
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:44 am

I only saw your original post today.

Coincidently I posted regarding this matter in "Plus 2 discussions" "Boot bulkhead" yesterday evening.

The 2mm aluminium sheeting is attached directly to the body fibreglass, and does not interfere with the rear tower brace or the boot brace. A 1" flange on the front of the parcel shelf panel overlaps and is screwed to the top of the vertical panel.

The tower brace sits directly up against the vertical sheet. The parcel shelf trim panel is secured on the original tabs on the tower brace.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: