Heated Rear windscreen

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:51 am

1967/68 Plus 2 and I have the blue light on the dash and the words Rear screen. I don't know what the rear window heater would look like. Is it the traditional stick on style with the lines that go across the screen? If so my window doesn't have that. So can I assume that I have the light but no heater? Was the light on the dash fitted regardless of having the heater or not? I've decoded the window data and it should still be the original window, unless it was replaced very soon after production. Can anyone enlighten me to why I have the light?
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Heated rear window looks like this…..

IMG_0574.jpeg and
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:21 pm

Cheers for the photo, pretty much what I thought.
The rear screen dash light does have wires attached but I've yet to trace them. There's no switch that I can see unless it's the bank of unnamed switches by my right knee.
Possibly the whole wiring system was fitted and the rear screen was replaced very early in its life?
Only bought the car 2 months ago so it's all new ground.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:25 am

The early +2 heated rear screens had the elements going up and down vertically. The more usual horizontal elements appeared around a year or so after production began.

I have a feeling that heated rear screens were an option on early cars, but I’m away currently so unable to check my data.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:56 pm

In the 1970 Plus 2 UK price list the rear heated glass is optional. Could be either a stand alone option or in combination with window tint.

The 1970 Canadian price list did not show the heated rear glass as either an option or a highlighted standard feature. My 1969 Canadian Federal model had the labelled dash switch and light, but no rear element. I don’t recall if the wiring was in the loom, but thinking not. I suspect this is how it worked if the option was not specifically ordered, but not sure.

When I had my new dash made, I specified leaving the labelling off the switch and light. Ended up repurposing them for added driving lamps; my Federal pre-dated the Lucas Square 8 lights than came on the later S models over here.

Have found that the rear defrost is not really necessary. In my experience just running with the windows partially open for a few minutes generally removes any frost on the rear glass.

HTH. Will be interesting to see what others have found.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:44 pm

trw99 wrote:The early +2 heated rear screens had the elements going up and down vertically. The more usual horizontal elements appeared around a year or so after production began.

I have a feeling that heated rear screens were an option on early cars, but I’m away currently so unable to check my data.

Tim

I think the wiring was put in even if the rear window had no heater built in.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 pm

I think the wiring was put in even if the rear window had no heater built in.[/quote]

My early car, registered Jan 68, has the wiring for the heated rear window in the rear loom but it is not present in the dash loom..

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud5000 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:03 am

I can just see the technicians on the Lotus assembly line now...

"Hey did you fit the heated rear screen?"
"Ya know I'm not sure"
"Ah she'll be right, no one will ever question why there's wires and no heated screen"

Awesome thanks everyone. I'll most likely just repurpose the hole for something else and delete the rear screen dash light.
Bud5000
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:28 am

Mine has everything except the lines on the screen. I too have re-purposed the switch.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: