plus 2 bonnet catch spacers

PostPost by: TonyA » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:27 pm

Two questions: relating to replacing rotting wooden originals.
1.Can the spacers be removed by simply removing the 3 bolts on the engine bay side of the bulkhead, or is access required inside the bulkhead, requiring dashboard removal or contortions ?
2. Who in the UK supplies replacements to the wooden originals: what are they now made of..?
Thanks..Tony
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:16 pm

There's a plate with captive nuts on the inside of the bulkhead which you need to be able to locate and hold in order to feed the bolts through from the catch/spacer.

I made new spacers with some Iroko, I think the originals may be Tulip wood ('Poplar') and I've heard it said they can swell causing the catches to stick but I've never experienced this. I chose Iroko as it's water resistant due to natural oils but I also had a spare bit in the garage!

On my last one I had some machined up in Aluminium.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:33 pm

If there is a fixing plate (with 3 threaded holes) on the inside of the bulkhead, am I right in thinking that if I replace two of the 3 bolts with (1/4 inch unc ) threaded bar, this will hold the plate in place so as to allow removal and replace the mounting blocks without needing access behind the dashboard...?
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveh » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:55 pm

Tony ,
I've got some wooden wedges made from beech , PM if you're interested £6 pair + post.
Regards Steve
image.png and
50/0024
steveh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:49 am

I think i would use a bit of Marine resin bonded ply
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:54 pm

I used oak, just what I had to hand. Quite easy to make if you have the original as a template.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:37 pm

Spy
dercars do a pair in aluminium @ £38.00 plus VAT !! I opted to buy from SJ Sportscars in black painted hardwood @£17.00:plus VAT for the pair.

No one answered my question about how to change the mounting blocks without needing access behind the dash to stop the metal plate holding the 3 captive nuts from moving, so here are the answers:
1. Replacing two of the mounting bolts with pieces of threaded studding ( 1/4 unf x 1.5 ins), then removing the 3rd bolt actually works well.
2. Alternatively, reaching under the dash to keep the the metal plate from moving is not so bad if you have a helper and one of you does yoga.,,!
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:44 pm

I see absolutely no reason why your proposed method will not work - sounds like a good plan (I've always done mine as part of a full resto so never hand the tackle it with the dash in place).

...Steve's spacers look like a bargain by the way - I would have bought some before doing my own if I had known. (Beech is a hardwood, just paint them).
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:36 am

Yes I have just bought some of Steve's bonnet spacers. They arrived very quickly and look great and ideal for the job.
Very pleased with them!

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: