Engine slanted?

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm

I'm a bit concerned about the angle of my engine in a new Spyder chassis. Are there any measuring references I should know about, or does this look normal?
Cheers in advance for any advice.
Attachments
Slanted .JPG and
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:58 pm

I have only fettled with regular chassis, but would have thought the tilt to be in the other direction also (you'll find out how much clearance you'll need when you fit the bonnet) : you may want to double check if the mounts and/or spacers have not been swapped...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 pm

I think everything has gone back correctly. The spacers are on the exhaust side and the mountings are the right way up. I wanted to get everything right before putting the body on, but I suppose I can wait and see what clearance I have then. I didn't notice any lean of the engine in the original Lotus chassis, but then I wasn't looking at it critically. Plus you get a much better view of it when it's just an engine in a chassis. So many little things that need attention. Sometimes it's a bit two steps forward, one step back. Thanks for replying.
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:47 pm

The engine is supposed to be a little higher on the Weber side to give adequate footwell clearance under the airbox.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:53 pm

I didn't mention it's a plus 2. Does that make a difference? I read somewhere that the two seater is tilted over for clearance, but that was done using different mounts on each side. I have got the same type of mount on both sides.
Cheers, Tony.
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:10 pm

Ah. In that case I've no idea! :D
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:13 pm

Ha ha, that makes two of us! Thanks anyway,
Tony
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:06 pm

Everything sounds right but the Spyder engine brackets are sided. So maybe you have them on the wrong side? They should be stamped LH/RH on the flat plate that bolts to the engine.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:22 pm

I saw that on the single side of a4 fuzzy print that served as the guide to building up the chassis, so I know that's not the problem. Still, that's more than I got for the twin wishbone suspension. That came with nothing. Straight forward enough to work out and a bit of trial assembly to work through, but still, a bit of a guide wouldn't hurt!
Back to the engine slant, I think a bit of fettling is called for. I just don't want to correct a fault that isn't actually a fault. I did a Google search for images of a built up chassis with the engine fitted, but the only ones looking front on are Zetec ones. It may well be how it's supposed to be, but it looks wrong somehow.
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:39 pm

Just been and put a spirit level on my engine, original/standard Lotus chassis. It is very close to level (right/left) placed on Big Valve section of valve cover, maybe a few mm higher on exhaust side. I'd expect the same engine positioning on a spyder chassis. So think your correct that something is off.

Only other thing I wonder is are you meant to leave the spacers out on exhaust side with Spyder Chassis?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:51 pm

You're a top man for that, thank you very much. Regarding the spacers, I thought for some reason they weren't used on the Spyder chassis, then when the engine went in I had a huge gap between the two parts (original Lotus mount and the Spyder bracket). Thank God I never throw anything away, the spacers were a perfect fit. Mind you, it took a while to find them in the massive pile of old bits of the original car.
Out with the round file tomorrow for a bit of hole slotting.
Once again, thanks.
Great, this forum. A lot of knowledgeable, helpful people are putting my mind at rest.
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:53 pm

I've got a Spyder chassis in my car. I'll head out, through the rain and wind, and put a spirit level on the engine. I'm taking my G&T with me though...

BTW you've made a very neat job of those brake lines.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:25 am

Hi. I've put a spirit level on, and my engine is tilted in the same direction as yours. Whether it's the same amount or not is hard to tell as the body is on the car, but it's certainly leaning the same way and looks similar.

I think the reaction force when you accelerate will tend to level the engine out. It may be that the carbs will hit the bodywork if it's not leaning slightly even if they clear when static. I have a tall block on my car so there's loads of space.

Anyway here's a pic:

Engine tilt.jpg and
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:48 am

My late 80's Spyder spaceframe chassis in my Plus 2 has engine mount arms that do not require the use of the standard Lotus spacers on the exhaust side. Maybe Spyder changed the design at some point or maybe you have been supplied the wrong arms e.g. the arms for the wider across the engine mount bosses 1600 block ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyWylde » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:27 am

Thanks for doing that Sean, especially at this time on a Friday evening. Your engine looks to be about the same as mine if the radiator is level in the car. I probably wouldn't notice it if the body was on and even as it is I only spotted it when showing my wife photos of progress so far. I certainly would never have spotted yours. I can always leave it till I put the body on and see what clearance I get, but feels a little bit like I've got too many little niggles that I'm not really sorting out, and this is the latest. Thanks for the brake line compliment. Easy-ish on a bare chassis and it would be a very different story with a complete car, a real test of patience.
Rohan, good point. I think I will give Spyder a call and ask about the engine mounts. I'd have thought a different adaptor would be a tidier set-up than reusing the original spacers. I need to ask them about an alignment issue with one of the rear upper wishbones which is nowhere near a good fit by a good half an inch, so two birds with one stone.
Cheers everyone, it's nice to know I can turn to you for help...even on a grim Friday evening at 10.30, Sean you nutcase!
TonyWylde
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: