Series 4 Badges

PostPost by: RoddyMac17 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:35 pm

I'm currently doing the bodywork on dear old dads Elan S4, and one of the previous owners started on getting the body ready for paint and filled almost all of the holes for the badges (not to mention holes for the trunk hinges and latch). I've managed to sort out the badge location on the RH rear wing and will most likely take measurements from it to locate the badge on the LH rear wing. But I can seem to locate the holes for the "ELAN" badge on the LH side just ahead of the door opening. So my question is, can anyone provide some dimensions from the door opening to the rear hole for the badge pin, and a dimension up from the top of the sill to the same hole?

My other question is, what badges should a 1968 S4 have? It turns out the car is an SE, I managed to find the rivet holes for the sill trim strips, and the side light holes on the tops of the front wings. Originally I had thought the car was a standard S4 so ordered the S4 badge for the rear wing, and a three year world champion badge for the other side. I think the car was built late enough in '68 that the 3 year badge would be appropriate. Would an SE just have the championship badge and the SE badge? And would the car have actually had the "ELAN" badge in front of the LH door?

Thanks,
Rod
Last edited by RoddyMac17 on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoddyMac17
New-tral

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi Rod,

I made the same mistake with my late '68 S4SE and purchased the S4 badge. So you're correct, just the SE and Championship badges on the rear.
I'm leaving the ELAN badge off simply because I think it looks better without, so can't help with that one.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:18 pm

RoddyMac17 wrote:My other question is, what badges should a 1968 S4 have? It turns out the car is an SE, I managed to find the rivet holes for the sill trim strips, and the side light holes on the tops of the front wings. Originally I had thought the car was a standard S4 so ordered the S4 badge for the rear wing, and a three year world champion badge for the other side as I think the car was built late enough in '68 that the 3 year badge would be appropriate. Would an SE just have the championship badge and the SE badge? And would the car have actually had the "ELAN" badge in front of the LH door?

Thanks,
Rod

I understand your car is a LHD : facing similar questions some years ago I remember I found sufficiently convincing informations on this forum, and for my '68 s4se (Federal) I had the "Elan" on black at the front right (passenger side), the 2 with detachable chrome bezel at the rear (SE RHS and championship LHS). I managed to locate the initial drillings using a strong light when looking from the inside (agreed, it helps to know where to look...) - I can go take some measurements if you don't find some based on a original paint car.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RoddyMac17 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:25 pm

nmauduit,
Yes the car is LHD, thanks for the tip on looking on the RH side, I'll shine a light on that side to see if the holes are there. Interestingly, your car is just 3 cars older than dear old dads, so one would hope that they should have the "ELAN" badge in the same spot.

Thanks!

Rod
RoddyMac17
New-tral

Total Online: