Number plate suppliers

PostPost by: jono » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:27 pm

Any recommendations - Tippers of Frampton seem to get good reviews but I've never used either?

I'm after raised plastic digits on aluminium, and loose letters for the front nosecone.

Also, any views on white on black or silver on black - the car is an early Plus 2 in Cirrus White?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:18 pm

Hi Jon,

I used Framptons for the raised white on aluminium for my rear plate - I'm very happy with it.

Rather than drill through the plate and attach with screws I glued a pair of Bighead fasteners to the back of the plate. Like these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403042685723 ... R4KnyYGUYQ

I sanded down the original fronts and sprayed them white, making sure firstly to use a plastic adhesion promotor spray.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:56 pm

Thanks Mike, I will go with Framptons then :)

Like you I re finished the front digits on my last car in exactly the way you describe however they are too far gone on this one so new ones required this time

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Jon,

As you probably know they offer with an aluminium border, or without i.e. the whole plate is black. I went without on my BRG car and I think it looks great. White letters without a border on Cirrus White would look fabulous IMHO.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:37 pm

Quite a coincidence.......
I have just taken delivery only last week of a black Aluminium plate with an Aluminium border from Framptons to go on the rear of my Colarado orange +2 and I think it looks just great!...Personally i think it needs the Ali border but then that's just my preference.
Fixing with bighead studs bonded on the back the same as Mike.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm

Well so much for my idea of bonding a bighead stud on the back of the rear number plate!
Went out today for a quick blast round and on return found the rear number plate hanging off! My faith in TigerSeal which on everything else seems to stick things irremovably rock solid has now been shattered!
Looks like I will have to drill/screw my nice new aluminium rear plate on after all unless perhaps someone has a better stud to ally plate bonding idea?

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:54 pm

We used to use Bigheads, the version with the loop fixings, to fasten cycle wings onto our Caterhams using tie wraps. The only thing we found reliable to bond them onto the fibreglass was Sika flex.

That said I'm surprised Tigerseal didn't work, it's a very similar product.

The other option would be to make an aluminium false plate screwed to the car and stick the numberplate to that using double sided foam tape (the way it's done on my Elise)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm

Thanks for the thoughts Jon...
A screwed backplate is a possible idea!
Sikaflex and Tigerseal though having used both in the past is I think just a different brand name.

Alan.,
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: