S4 Pedal box

PostPost by: Billelan » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:00 pm

I’m sure this must have been covered before but can the RHD S4 pedal box be fully stripped? I can get the accelerator pedal off but the brake and clutch appear to be captivated by welding. I want to strip down so I can get the parts blasted and powder coated.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:07 pm

No you can't without cutting and rewelding. I just had mine blasted and powder coated without totally stripping down and it came out perfect. I forced oil through the lube holes to clear any dust when I got it back and reassembled the accelerator
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:03 pm

Thanks. That was my thoughts. I’ll block up the oil lub holes and get them blasted and powder coated
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:31 pm

Hi,
If you already have the box out then check for play in the bushes etc - now is the time to make good!

One of my bushes was actually missing or rather never fitted in the first place. If there is play then you will need to mark the position of the end bit with a centre pop and carefully file the weld away and the rest is easy - bushes are readily available.
Before getting it re-welded you will need a removable spacer - something like .005" so it has the necessary clearance to operate.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks Steve. There is a fair bit of play so I may need to investigate further. The bushes you describe are not shown in the parts list. What type of bushes are they:- plastic or a metallic material such as phosphorus bronze?
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:56 pm

Also check the pushrod clevis pin holes in the pedals for wear, if they are worn oval you may want to address that while you have the pedal box out too.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:19 am

Hi,
Will have a look today, I'm sure I had some spare so will have a look - can't have moved far in 30 years!
Remind me if no reply today.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:11 pm

Hi,
I haven't actually found any spare but have found the part number I used - Google will find them as just checked, but attached is the data sheet anyway.

A lot of care is required dealing with the pedal box as any play is magnified x4. It must not bind even under load and must return / move freely
When refitting it must be square / parallel to the master cylinder mounting face - not easy.
Also the side mounting piece must be free of any play - think I made new, if I remember correctly the original wasn't very good considering the loads.

Regards
Steve
Attachments
12nu08-specifications.pdf
(185.62 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:23 pm

Hi Steve. Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I’ll have a good look at my pedal box this weekend. I’ll be able to get this type of bearing bush (glacier DU) from my local bearing factors in the UK.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: