Advice on Gluing vinyl on Trim

PostPost by: phil1800 » Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm

If it is ABS or PVC, this works fine. I use this glue for the piping of my Pool with very good (pressure proof) success. Please consider that the surface of the plastic part is attached by the solvent in the glue for better tack. I means that the surface of the ABS will be sort of 'milky' in appearance after the glue is applied, but is will be covered anyway. A bonding test is always recommended if you are not sure what your are glueing to what.

Philipp

https://www.amazon.de/GRIFFON-WDF-05-SC ... 118&sr=8-3
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat May 28, 2022 2:19 pm

This what you need.
IMG_20220527_193238.jpg and

£50 pair plus postage.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat May 28, 2022 10:15 pm

bigvalvehead wrote:This what you need.
IMG_20220527_193238.jpg

£50 pair plus postage.

Ordered already but my supplier is a little slow with delivery :roll: :lol:

They look awesome Dave!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:48 pm

Update: So I took the trims out of the car to remove the sticky mess & trim them yet again with vinyl fabric.

Here is what the trims look like with the Vinyl removed:
IMG_7295.jpg and

The sprayed on contact adhesive has changed into a gooey mess... it was dry to the touch when stuck to the trim... why is this happening?

&... I thought the trims were ABS... but looking closely at them I believe they are GRP that used original ABS parts as the mold... you can see the texture of the original ABS parts on the rear side of the trims. .... The rear face of the trims is smooth, the viewed side of the part was rough, so they skimmed the parts with what appears to be bondo & then sanded them down smooth... the bondo is the green that you can see.

I have cleaned the trims off with acetone & paint thinners so now I will have to stick the vinyl to the GRP/bondo for a 4th time... As contact type cements are not working what about using GRP resin as the adhesive? :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:51 am

Update, I re-stuck the vinyl with contact adhesive & the trims looked fantastic:
IMG_7432.jpg and

For 5 weeks....

Then after high temps in NY everything came unstuck again:
IMG_8265.jpg and

It's very odd... wondering if there's a chemical in the vinyl that is reacting with the contact adhesive?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:46 pm

Your trim looks like my dashtop under the foam. My trim did not look like that it looked like the replacement I bought which is a thin black plastic. I think the light color dashtop and your trim are fiberglass (GRP). It is very hard to get fiberglass to stick to fiberglass but you can paint it. Perhaps you could paint the trim before gluing it. Not a good practice normally but you don't need much strength, just stability. I noticed that some of the suggested sites sold goods for professional use only. Be careful with that acetone and other vapors!
If I were you I would seek the advice of a boat-shop' one that does repairs. They might be able to do the covering for you using stuff you can't buy. It might save time and your health, and maybe sanity. :)
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:02 pm

You really need to use something like this.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/high-temp ... -one-litre

Cheers
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:23 am

c42 wrote:You really need to use something like this.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/high-temp ... -one-litre

Cheers
John

Thanks, that's a contact adhesive, no different from what I have been using.

Took the panels along to my local auto trimmer (Automat) to show the owner. Nothing wrong with the panels, vinyl or glue :roll:

I'm wondering if the GRP panels are absorbing the paint thinners & acetone that I am using to get rid of old glue & then after gluing when the temperature is elevated the remnants outgas & re-dissolve/react with the glue? The solution to this would be to bake the panels after cleaning (In the oven when the wife is out of the house of course :roll: )...
Last edited by pharriso on Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:06 pm

Use them to make a mold to cast new ones in a more tractable material, like paper mache. :lol:
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:30 pm

I have used Devcon clear silicone adhesive on my headliner (+2) and other trim pieces. It has worked well although it must be clamped in place while it sets. It has worked well for me in the heat of the desert and it has not stained anything. Note it is an adhesive, not gasket maker. I bought mine at Ace hardware in the US. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:34 am

I was only half-joking. You don't need GRP to hold up the vinyl, which is all it's doing. At the same time you could mold in a flange so you wouldn't have to screw it into the plywood edge. Make extras and sell them. :)
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: