Lock barrel disassemble?

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat May 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Has anyone managed to take apart the lock barrel? Originally made by Wimot Breeden, replacements are currently made by Weston Body Hardware. I feel this must be possible, but I am currently defeated. Alternatively does anyone know of a company who can do this for me?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:54 pm

Try Morelands Locks.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 22, 2022 12:27 am

They are, of course, designed so that they are easy to dismantle...PROVIDED THAT YOU HAVE THE KEY.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 111Robin » Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 am

Arun Locks provide a good service for all classic car lock types and will supply any lock barrel with correct wards to suit your key number and will also supply the key if required. I ran my Cooper for years with different keys for ignition, doors and boot but Ian supplied new barrels to match the ignition key FS number. You can faff around filing the wards to get them to match your key, I have tried, but it's not worth the bother.

Contact Ian Rands
07598 805533
01403 786213
[email protected]
https://www.arun-locks.co.uk/
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 10kph » Sun May 22, 2022 2:33 pm

On the side of the barrel is a strip of stainless steel say 5mm x20mm in size held in place by the alloy barrel being peened over. This strip will slide out with a small screwdriver....be careful and do one at a time because each hole uncovered has a spring and two pins so keep in order. I think it is 5 sets.Now the centre barrel will turn and can be removed by looking at the opposite end to the keyhole and with pliiers squeeze the brass ring until it comes out of a groove in the end of the centre barrel .
Any key can be made to fit by inserting into the centre barrel and choose or file pins to sit flush with the barrel outer surface.The second set of pins can be of any length in assembly and all the springs are the same.
When you have lost the bits buy a new unit from a Triumph TR6 or GT6
Tony
10kph
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun May 22, 2022 7:09 pm

Thanks everyone I think this information will get me sorted.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: