Chassis bolts

PostPost by: NTG999 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:31 pm

I'm currently refitting the body to chassis of my Elan Sprint after repaint. I previously fitted a galvanised chassis in approx 1990 when I think I bought a kit of bolts. My questions are, the bolts where there is a choice, mainly the underneath ones and behind the dash should the bolt head be under the car or in the car?
I notice my old (non original) bolts are all slightly longer by 1/4" than the ones listed in BB and the manual, are the correct length bolts always long enough even with spacers?
Finally the 2x bolts in to the rear uprights I tapped and fitted 3/8" bolts back in 1990 but BB and manual list 7/16"
Thanks
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:46 am

the bolts where there is a choice, mainly the underneath ones and behind the dash should the bolt head be under the car or in the car?

There is no choice about which way round any of the hardware is fitted , at the front and rear uprights and behind the dash the bolts pass through plain bobbins in the body into threads tapped in the chassis, in all other locations set screws pass through holes in the chassis into threaded bobbins in the body.

are the correct length bolts always long enough even with spacers?

That depends on how big your spacers are, check that you have enough thread engagement with the standard hardware and fit longer ones if required.

Finally the 2x bolts in to the rear uprights I tapped and fitted 3/8" bolts back in 1990 but BB and manual list 7/16"

7/16" is correct. A 3/8" bolt will be a loose fit through the 7/16" body bobbin and could allow movement.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:11 am

NTG999 wrote:Finally the 2x bolts in to the rear uprights I tapped and fitted 3/8" bolts back in 1990 but BB and manual list 7/16"
Thanks

Are you sure they were ⅜? Do you mean ½" maybe? Tapping out to ½" is a fix for stripped threads in these bobbins...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:57 am

No threads in the rear upright bobbins they are smooth bore.

Fasteners diameter should match the bobbin. If the body bobbins are 7/16" then use 7/16" bolts. Or replace the bobbins with 3/8" diameter or use a sleeve if using 3/8" bolts.

Not sure why Lotus felt the need for 7/16" bolts on the rear uprights. I would reckon the strength limit here would be the body and or chassis, not the bolts. A 7/16" bolt has a shear strength only about 15% greater than 3/8". And the roughly 40% greater tensile strength of the 7/16" is rendered superfluous by the limit of the bobbin strength and thin sheetmetal of the uprights.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:20 pm

correction...

Are you sure they were ⅜? Do you mean ½" maybe? Tapping out to ½" is a fix for stripped threads in these uprights...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:36 pm

bitsobrits wrote:Not sure why Lotus felt the need for 7/16" bolts on the rear uprights. I would reckon the strength limit here would be the body and or chassis, not the bolts. A 7/16" bolt has a shear strength only about 15% greater than 3/8". And the roughly 40% greater tensile strength of the 7/16" is rendered superfluous by the limit of the bobbin strength and thin sheetmetal of the uprights.

I think those bolts we're used to mount the seat belts in early cars and seat belt hardware is/was 7/16" I believe so that may be why.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:28 pm

That makes sense, 3/8" everywhere except 7/16" where potentially seatbelts mount, as pointed out other factors are limiting before the strength of the bolt is tested.
My chassis isn't tapped for the 'underneath' bolts so the body was secured with nuts & bolts through bobbins so I still have the choice of bolt head in the car or underneath...
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:49 pm

NTG999,

As others have commented, originally the bolts/set screws were fitted into threaded bobbins and threaded holes in the chassis. As you have bobbins without thread and a bolt with nut to secure the body to the chassis, I was told as an apprentice to put the bolt in from the top with the nut underneath, so if the nut works loose and falls off, the bolt might stay in place and hold the two parts together. 50+ years later I am not sure of this advice, but I think it is probably the better option.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Just this week, I bolted the body of my pre-aiflow coupe back onto its original frame. Since my floor bobbins were original and still threaded, I ran the bolts in from beneath the the car. Looks cleaner from underneath and I suppose if the bolts are reversed and even just 1/4 inch hung down, that would be 1/4 inch less ground clearance. Some how I.ve got to figure how to load photos onto my computer and show them here.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:03 pm

RichardHawkins wrote: I was told as an apprentice to put the bolt in from the top with the nut underneath, so if the nut works loose and falls off, the bolt might stay in place and hold the two parts together. 50+ years later I am not sure of this advice, but I think it is probably the better option.
Richard Hawkins

One word.... Nylocks!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: