Reproduction Badge Quality

PostPost by: Brock » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 am

Hi All,

Are some reproduction "Lotus Elan 1600" script badges better than others?

I just received a set of terrible quality.... Chromed over brass with casting flash and general wonkiness. They were only £15.50 each from a long-time Lotus parts monger -- and I took a risk hoping that they were all from the same supplier. US$56 each is the other price at the usual suspects.

I have managed to make them look a lot better by lapping the back with a file and sorting out the kerning (letter spacing) by strategic bending.

The "E" is particularly bad -- but it looks like the originals have a terrible "E" from a typeface aficianado's point of view. The studs on the "E" and the "1" are right on the edge of the casting, and so won't cover the holes in the bodywork! I had to file casting flash, and this exposed brass on the back edge. The more I think about it, the more I think they're total garbage. Now I'm pissed. They arrived in the post packaged to not protect from bending or scratches as a bonus.

Are there better ones? These aren't worth drilling holes in the car for. If I use them, I'll tape them on.

Alternately, does anyone have an original "Lotus" to trade for an original "Elan"?
Attachments
Lotus_Elan_Badges.jpg and
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: