Shapecraft

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:23 pm

Does anyone know whether the Shapecraft top has been replicated or whether any plans or measurements exist to create a similar top
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:27 pm

I am planing on a Canadian Shapecraft, it will have rear 1/4 plexi maybe opening.
I dont think it is that much work, starting with the existing leading edge, and roof line to make this.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:00 pm

Kelvedon used to stock a GRP roof and boot lid “Shapecraft style” currently out of stock https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/product/sha ... -and-boot/

Dave Hughes of “The Lotus Factory” (member on here AKA Bigvalvehead ) also used to offer the roof and lid, not sure if he supplied Kelvedon, but most likely connected.

https://thelotusfactory.co.uk/elan

Probably worth a couple of phone calls.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:30 am

As an aside, the top of my helmet strikes the roof in my GTS and I'm 5'11".
This is with a carbon seat with no padding pretty much on the floor of the car.
I haven't sat in a shapecraft but would imagine the roofline allows for even less headroom.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 pm

I’m 6’5 and ft in my26R sounds like your seats mounts are the issue. I use Tillett seat with custom mounts. We lowered the floor in seat area by 1/2” Seat base is on the floor.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:14 pm

vstibbard wrote:I’m 6’5 and ft in my26R sounds like your seats mounts are the issue. I use Tillett seat with custom mounts. We lowered the floor in seat area by 1/2” Seat base is on the floor.

It's a scrape rather than a knock and I didn't know about it until I saw the helmet top.
There's about a mm or two between the floor and the bottom of the seat ( Tillett). The floor could be altered, but no need for me, it doesn't affect me. I merely emphasised there's not much excess room, and likely less in the shapecraft.
I'm an odd shape, long back and T rex limbs! I probably sit as high as someone 6'3"
The seat mounts are attached to the cage and the seat hangs down between them
IMG_1005.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 pm

Graeme
I hope I am not going to be stating the obvious, or trying to teach granny etc.

I had the same issues in a Ginetta G12, but found altering the rake of the seat enabled me to get my helmet off the ceiling. In that car you don't have much fore and aft space due to the engine bulkhead behind your back, so a little challenging for a near six footer.

Because we are all a little different in the trunk to leg measurement ratio, what suits one is not always going to work for another, this we found out when first trying to set up the seat, as my racing partner who was the same height as me had no difficulty with the height as he was slightly shorter in the trunk but longer in the legs than me.

To sort it out, I placed a thin sheet of 10mm board on the floor to raise the seat and spread the load so as not to stress the floor too much. I then used a couple of cushions to support the seat whilst altering seat angles and positions, these were placed one behind the seat to provide support between the seat and the bulkhead and one under the front of the seat to give support, this enabled me to move the seat angle till I found the best compromise. The resultant compromise was that it lowered my head but raised my knees up a little.

For info, the seat itself was a carbon shell with a very thin layer of foam in the base to stop any sliding around, the runners and brackets being custom made to suit once a final position arrived at and the seat mounted virtually on the floor

Admittedly there is perhaps a little more room in the Elan, and as I am 5'11" I have no issues with my S4 Coupe with standard seats and fixings. This raises an interesting point as to whether the floor to ceiling height in a Coupe is any different to that with a fitted hardtop. Perhaps if someone with a hardtop could measure up and we can compare to a Coupe.

Best of luck.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm

tonyabacus wrote:Graeme
I hope I am not going to be stating the obvious, or trying to teach granny etc.

I had the same issues in a Ginetta G12, but found altering the rake of the seat enabled me to get my helmet off the ceiling. In that car you don't have much fore and aft space due to the engine bulkhead behind your back, so a little challenging for a near six footer.

Because we are all a little different in the trunk to leg measurement ratio, what suits one is not always going to work for another, this we found out when first trying to set up the seat, as my racing partner who was the same height as me had no difficulty with the height as he was slightly shorter in the trunk but longer in the legs than me.

To sort it out, I placed a thin sheet of 10mm board on the floor to raise the seat and spread the load so as not to stress the floor too much. I then used a couple of cushions to support the seat whilst altering seat angles and positions, these were placed one behind the seat to provide support between the seat and the bulkhead and one under the front of the seat to give support, this enabled me to move the seat angle till I found the best compromise. The resultant compromise was that it lowered my head but raised my knees up a little.

For info, the seat itself was a carbon shell with a very thin layer of foam in the base to stop any sliding around, the runners and brackets being custom made to suit once a final position arrived at and the seat mounted virtually on the floor

Admittedly there is perhaps a little more room in the Elan, and as I am 5'11" I have no issues with my S4 Coupe with standard seats and fixings. This raises an interesting point as to whether the floor to ceiling height in a Coupe is any different to that with a fitted hardtop. Perhaps if someone with a hardtop could measure up and we can compare to a Coupe.

Best of luck.
Tony

You are right, I like a fairly upright seat. The seat mounts have enough holes to allow some forward , back and rake adjustments.
My T-rex arms are taken care of by a steering column extension.

Regards,
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:59 am

I have a mould for the Shapecraft roof and can supply.
www.thelotusfactory.co.uk
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:04 am

Graham to fit, I have the B6F fitted in a reclined position with roll hoop right by rear window and back stays onto top of rear chassis.
The seat mounts are attached to the shell and shell has carbon Kevlar layers too and under floor.
Rear of seat is supported by stays to cage, rear upper body to chassis mount.
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billyroberts » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:04 pm

Yea, i know this. I'm planing on a Canadian Shapecraft, it will have back 25% plexi perhaps opening.
I dont think it is that much work, beginning with the current driving edge, and rooftop line to make this
Best Regards Billy Roberts

One of the first things to consider is the essaywritinghelp and place in which the movie was made. It is important to study the cultural context, and make sure to mention any major issues that shaped the time period.
billyroberts
New-tral

Total Online: