S3 side window frames

PostPost by: davidj » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:03 pm

Good evening all,

After fitting my s3 side window frames I noticed the passenger door does not shut correctly because of the bulge in the frame caused by the bend in the L section plate holding the door lock. I guess the drivers side was cut and welded at the bulge, fits flush with the door edge and it shuts great. Is the bulge normal or has there been a bodge in the past?

I don't know how I am going to get around this problem. Unfortunately I have just had the frames chromed.........

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David
Attachments
driver frame.jpg and
Drivers side. Excellent.
passenger frame.jpg and
Passenger side. Note bulge at the bend.
passenger frame 2.jpg and
Another view of the bulge.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:53 am

my bet is that it was bent at some point while out of the car (was it rechromed?) then just bent back, which left the crease. I would take it out and hammer it back (under hard wood to protect the chrome, and onto a hardwood spacer so as not to go too far : you may want to measure how much of the protrusion you need away to restore proper shutting of the door, and not overdo it as the chrome may lift in the shrink area - if so, seal the split with lacquer/varnish)
Last edited by nmauduit on Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:24 pm

Good suggestion. Thanks. It was deformed before chroming and I thought it was caused by the bending process when first manufactured. Maybe I got the Friday afternoon production. However, it *may* have been made correctly and has been bent subsequently. I will carefully try straightening it. Fingers crossed I don't damage the chrome.

Ta.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: