exterior door handle operation

PostPost by: milton » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 pm

With the doors off the car I thought I would try to improve the mechanism of the passenger's door lock. The button on the handle needs to be pressed in a long way and quite hard to get the door to open. I don't have this problem on the driver's door. Looking inside the passenger door the rod connecting the handle to the lock needs to travel along way along the oval opening before the lever that releases the door catch moves. I fitted a nylon nut and bolt to occupy some of the space in the oval and the button releases the catch with less movement and more easily. Can anyone see a flaw in this possible solution or have another/better solution?
Attachments
20210419_163139.jpg and
milton
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:10 pm

The slot is necessary to allow the inner door handle and outer push button to operate independently .. does your inner handle still work OK with the slot length reduced ?
I could be wrong but I think the length of the push button in the handle can be adjusted and that would probably be a better way to take the slack out of the release mechanism.

Driver door lock problem 007(a).jpg and
Push button adjustment screw ?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am

This may not apply and I have no way to check presently because of lockdown, but in the remote case it would, I remember some parts of these British cars external handles are cast in zamac, and I've seen micro cracks developping which led to an incresed travel required to open the door from the outside...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm

nmauduit wrote:This may not apply and I have no way to check presently because of lockdown, but in the remote case it would, I remember some parts of these British cars external handles are cast in zamac, and I've seen micro cracks developping which led to an incresed travel required to open the door from the outside...

A good article on Wiki about Zamak mentions it getting more brittle with age.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: