Door card clips (Plus 2)

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am

I’m making new door cards, prior to getting them covered I would like to test fit the bare cards. The retention clips obviously have an offset in relation to the holes they go into (in the door card), is there a correct direction for this offset. Up, down, left or right?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:16 pm

I had a light bulb moment a few years ago when I realised how the offset (crooked!) clips worked. The design is quite clever in the way that it allows a lot of adjustment. The general idea is that the large holes in the door card are roughly centred on the clip holes in the door and the offset leg of the clip clips onto the door card. The clip can be positioned as required to match the door holes and they can be offset up, down, left or right. It does not matter which provided the clips fit into the door holes.

If you are making your own door cards you can position the holes using the door as a template and you probably won't need as much adjustment but the holes will still need to be large enough to allow the clips in.

HTH
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 pm

I used double sided velcro tape instead of the clips - worked a treat and made subsequent removal and replacement a cinch
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks Mike, that makes sense.
Jono, the Velcro suggestion is an interesting idea. Were there no issues with the door card being spaced out from the door due to the thickness of the Velcro?
Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 am

Nic,

This was never a problem - I suspect the overall thickness of the velcro is no greater than the original clips and plastic cups
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: