Felt and glue removal

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am

For years this has dogged me - peeing off old felt leaving the problem of removing the old dried on glue and hairs from the felt. I use anything to hand - scrapers, acetone, petrol, you name it I have tried it to no avail :cry:

Then I am looking at pics here in the archive of class renovations where the inside of the body is as smooth as a baby's bottom - how :? :?:
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Probably not the ideal way but I used a (softish) wire cup brush in my angle grinder. Worked a treat although you do have to be careful.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks Mike - generally how I have ended up doing on the likes of an MGB,but not too happy here, it being GRP... I might try a small area with a wire brush and see.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:35 pm

I thought the angle grinder would be way too violent but it worked a treat with the relatively fine bristles on the brush.

You will need a good face mask and eye and ear protection too
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 pm

I know it added weight but I cleaned as best I could with cellulose thinners and wire brushes then re coated the surface with epoxy the finish looked quite good. Then I applied new glue and underfelt.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:44 am

Concrete-crusher wrote:I know it added weight but I cleaned as best I could with cellulose thinners and wire brushes then re coated the surface with epoxy the finish looked quite good. Then I applied new glue and underfelt.

Steve

Thanks Steve! You know, in all the times I have scraped the damned stuff off, I never thought of getting to so far and then giving it a coat of resin/epoxy! So a belated apology to anyone out there with Minis or MGBs where the dynamat looks like it has gravel underneath! It may well have been me :)
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Terry Posma » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 am

I have used a gas torch at very low heat on steel bodies . Stuff just peels up.

The last time I removed contact glue on fibre glass it was sprayed with epoxy primer and then, when hard, sanded off. I think a electric heat gun may also work based on previous experience.
Terry Posma
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:08 am

I just used a hand held wire brush, the residue of the glue and felt was hard and crumbly and came off quite easily, a very dusty job though!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: