Replacing A-Pillar Trim

PostPost by: MrBonus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Is there an easy way to do this without removing the windshield?

Mine was never installed during its prior restoration and I picked up the replacement units from RDent. Buckland's book states it's easiest done without the windshield in place but doesn't go into any other tips/tricks to install it.
1967 Lotus Elan Coupe - Super Safety
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
1973 Ford F100 4x4
MrBonus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:07 pm

I would say 'no' to easy. But 'yes' to can it be done without the windshield out.

Last time I did it, years ago, I used plastic levers (trim tools can be found online) to pry back the rubber windshield seal on the vertical sides enough to insert some cotton cord (1/4" IIRC, 'not easy' and don't stuff it in too deep) which allowed me to install the trim ('easy'). Then just pulled the cord out top to bottom or vice versa ('easy enough').

I should note that if the windshield rubber is ancient and rock hard, you will probably want to go ahead and replace that now. The above mentioned procedure requires a reasonable amount of pliability of the rubber.
Last edited by bitsobrits on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MrBonus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 pm

bitsobrits wrote:I would say 'no' to easy. But 'yes' to can it be done without the windshield out.

Last time I did it, years ago, I used plastic levers (trim tools can be found online) to pry back the rubber windshield seal on the vertical sides enough to insert some cotton cord (1/4" IIRC, 'not easy' and don't stuff it in too deep) which allowed me to install the trim ('easy'). Then just pulled the cord out top to bottom or vice versa ('easy enough').

Thank you! I was wondering if I should pull a windshield tool and pray for the best. I am worried I might crack the trim pieces jamming them in.
1967 Lotus Elan Coupe - Super Safety
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
1973 Ford F100 4x4
MrBonus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: