S4 Lotus Elan CrashPad

PostPost by: Soonteo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 am

I plan to install a new crashpad, the piece above the dashboard and need anyone’s advice on how it came with the car when manufactured.

My question is, the new reproduction piece is made of all thin plastic and was the factory original in this similar condition or does it need to be finished with padded vinyl or leather?

Thank you
Tony
1969 Lotus Elan
Soonteo
New-tral

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:18 am

My car has a plastic overlay on the dash that sounds like what you're planning to install. Installed by a PO.

FWIW, I'm not happy with it. The original dash is vinyl formed over foam, I assume glued to the top of the dash. So my "veneer" sits on top of it, has buckles in it (i.e., isn't a smooth surface), a generally poor fit, and is just a bad imitation of the original. I guess the PO felt it was better than a cracked, disintegrating dash, which it no doubt is. The last time I had the fascia off I could tell that was what was underneath.

A local car interior guy who I'm talking to about redoing my interior mentioned that "best practice" is to take everything off, use rigid foam, glue, rasps and sandpaper to rebuild the surface, and then cover it in vinyl - that it will then be indistinguishable from stock. I don't doubt that this guy can do it, so that's my plan in the not too distant future.

There was a recent thread here where someone was dealing with applying an overlay, and sever people piped up about the foam/vinyl approach they followed, at least one was "do it yourself".
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 am

This is a tricky restoration part: originally the crash pad is filled with foam that glues it to the dash top, possibly installed in a single step at the factory (any opninions on that ? ) even when the foam has somewhat deintegrated over time, it is difficult to remove without damage due to its embracing shape around the top, even without the windscreen. Some compromise may be attempted by cutting the dash edges, which are less visible (at least from the inside) once the windscreen is back on, and fill the resulting gap with black rubber or something the like.

Also,as far as I know the plastic repros available today tend to be a bit less flexible at the original ones, and the grain is not exactly similar (these are personnal impressions, which may also come from the ageing of original parts that alter their characteristics over time).

For my '68 street S4 I eventually decided to install a plastic repro (the original one having been damaged at the paint shop, I may try to salvage it at some point...) , and to avoid it sounding hollow I installed thin upholstery foam under it (not so easy as the thickness varies). I did not chance glueing it with expending foam as it already had a new paint, carpet etc. and I had a deadline, but on a empty car I would give it a try : one would not want to have too much foam blowing out the pad (less of a risk with a rigid plastic repro), and protect well around the holes where the extra foam would pour out from.

There is also an alternate option I've heard about, which is covering the existing pad with soft material (I've heard about leather kits) - not stock, but sounds easier to get a perfect result...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:18 pm

“”There is also an alternate option I've heard about, which is covering the existing pad with soft material (I've heard about leather kits) - not stock, but sounds easier to get a perfect result...””

FWIW my car has a complete leather interior, fitted in the 1980s - the leather has been laid / probably glued, over the original foam / vinyl crash (and under dash trims / screen side trims) so hiding any cracks / damage and the result is pretty acceptable as an option (although no good for originality and is starting to show its age now in a few places).

Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Here's the thread I mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47124
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:59 pm

I used expanding fireblock foam then sanded to fit. Prior to foaming, which generates heat and could deform the ABS dashpad skin, I applied window flashing tape to the underside of the dashpad. I also supported the dashpad with material to ensure it kept its shape. It came out perfectly.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33497&p=340516#p340516
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Soonteo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 am

Fantastic! This is a great & practical solution that I plan to adopt. Thanks to all the input from Elan owners.

Tony
Soonteo
New-tral

PostPost by: Bill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:07 pm

This is what I did this week, just got my dash top on Monday from Sue.

I used segments of 1/2 in. foam sheet tack glued to the scuttle to fill the space under the plastic crash pad. The vent mounting screws and the front flange sandwiched by the dash to the scuttle edge fastens the crash pad in place.

The only trimming required was to the dash sandwiched flange for the dash mounting bolts and such.

The front windscreen edge required no trimming (windshield glass and rubber is not installed)

USE A LOT OF PATIENCE. MULTIPLE TRIAL FITS!!!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: