Plus 2 Under Dash Trims

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Graeme
I had a similar problem and used the flexible repair filler and hardener they use for restoring plastic bumpers. It comes in cans like P38 Fibreglass filler and is easily available via the Net or Halfords and is black in colour so no paint needed afterwards. I also used some of the fine fibreglass mat.

The technique I used was to do the repair in stages and trying to use the newly created bit as part of the support for moulding the next part until all the work was done. To create the "mould" so to speak I used some thin plastic that was easy to bend and hold in position and in some places used electrical tape not only to hold the shape I wanted but to act as the mould itself. It all depends on what damage needs repair.

This repair filler has the advantage that it is remains flexible just like the material the original panel is made from, as a "like" material it had no issues bonding to the panel surface and lastly it is black in colour and therefore needed minimal cleaning up and no painting afterwards. Used by the motor trade to repair car bumpers that take all the vibration and minor knocks it will hopefully last okay on the dash panels
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:56 am

Hi Tony
I’ve finished repairing the plastic parts now using glass fibre. I’ve not put the three parts that make up each under dash trim component together yet. Hopefully they will assemble ok with some new foam padding And bifurcated rivets. Thanks for the tip on flexible filler. I’ll bear it in mind should other trim repairs crop up.
Next task is to refurbish the seats. The rubber bases are perished and the foam probably needs replacing. If you’ve done that, any tips?
Graham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Greame

I have redone seats before but not an Elan, but I decided to have a look at mine with a view to refurbing them, and what help is there.
If you go on the Newtons Commercials website they show lots of Lotus trim, also there is a fitting guide here,
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1613/ ... 3041349151.

I don't know which series Elan you have, but there are differences in the seats between the early and late series cars, the above fitting instructions are for an S4, but as you will see under the different model headings there is the relative kit and fitting instructions.

So to begin I stripped my seats and found that all the foams, the base sacking and one or two springs were all beyond salvage. Also although being ultra careful when taking them apart, some of the leather cloth was ripped around hog rings and there are some large circular clips that go around the tubular parts of the frame, where these too ripped the leather when removing. The frames themselves whilst not damaged were rusty in places, particularly along those parts that are in contact with the floor. In addition I found pieces of foam that proved to have been added at some later stage, but to start with I questioned whether they had been replaced for parts fitted originally, so a little head scratching.

Some of the foams for the bolsters are shaped and have to be accurately reproduced if you want the seat and bolsters to look correct after fitting. I have seen a number of owner refurbed seats and a number have fell down in this area, so that where the seat bolster on the bottom meet the seat back and again at the very front of the bolsters, there have been tucks and creases that have appeared a short time after the refurb has been done. This due to the bolster foams not being made correctly, or the wrong foam or poorly executed fitting. You can stuff the bolsters in the beginning to get them look right but then as you use the seat, the above factors come home to roost.

You can buy the actual seat covers from Newtons or indeed from Sue Miller (they are from Newtons anyway) but the covers are expensive. You can buy a kit including foams, but if you wish to reuse your own existing covers then of course you need new foams, the hog rings and the hog ring tool (its a pain without), new circular clips (some existing may not be worth reusing) and new studs for the rear seat backs and a lot of patience.

Having looked at the work in prospect, I started to caste around for any alternatives and by good fortune came across a guy who can supply the parts or do the actual refurb at a cost far, far less than the price of the Newton covers. I know you will ask as I did, what's the quality like. I insisted seeing a set of covers before making any commitment and also to find out a bit more about the guy. I should add here that he actually works in the executive airline industry as an upholsterer but also does work for local marine and car restorers. I found he has had one or two recommendations from others and so I had less forgiving's. He duly made a set of covers and I inspected them, needless to say I was impressed by the workmanship of the covers I saw.

Before going ahead I gave the chap the job of putting a new cover on my steering wheel to test out the quality of a finished article. The steering wheel turned out extremely well and on the basis of that and the covers he made for me to inspect, I decided I would rather he do the seats than me. In an Elan the three things that stand out immediately are the dashboard, seats and steering wheel. With a refurbished dashboard and steering wheel I decided to spend the cash and get the seats done correctly. This actually goes against the grain as I have built racing cars and restored classic cars and bikes over many years, but generally know when to call in a professional. I also had the seat frames grit blasted and powder coated as it was easier and gave a better finish, knowing also that the frames were properly de-rusted, but also that the whole job is being done professionally.

The proof of the pudding ? I am due to collect the seats tomorrow so will be able to send you some pictures of the finished articles.

If you are interested then pm me with your email address and I will pass on his details or if you want to know a little more I will pass back my phone number and would be happy to chat about not just this guy, but also where you can get all the bits to do the refurb yourself, including all the correct clips and studs for the seat back.
Regards
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your interesting post on seat restoration. Mine are the later type from a 1973 Plus2S 130. I was planning on getting a quote from Neil Fulcher Coachtrimmer (www.coachtrimmer.co.uk). If you haven't heard of him, Neil was head of interior trimming at Lotus for many years. He was known for excellent work. Sadly he died a few years back and his son took over the business. I don't really want new seat covers as I want to keep original as possible. There are a couple of rips in the driver's seat that will need replacement pieces, the rubber membranes that support the foam across the bottom of the seats are perished and the cloth inserts need a bit of re-padding. I was planning on taking them up to Fulchers to see what he recommends. I'm also hoping he might have some old oatmeal vinyl cloth in his store.

An alternative quote from a known good trimmer would be really handy. Accordingly, please send me the contact details of the chap you used. My email address is [email protected]. BTW whereabouts in the UK is he located? Also, I'd be interested to see the pictures your restored seats.
Many thanks
Graham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi Graham
Been away so will get the info together when I get back and post, or send me a pm and I will post some pics of finished seats
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: