New Boot Replacement

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:16 pm

I am getting ready to fit a new hood and cover on my S3. My instructions offer an option of leaving the hood as a separate item that is stored in the boot rather than being attached to the body as Lotus did it.

Any thoughts?

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 am

I left the hood loose in the tray for years. Overall it was fine, just attaching all of the fasteners every time you wanted to put it up. I did use a piece of clean soft fabric in the bottom of the tray so the plastic window didn't rub on the tray and scratch it.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 am

I think the vast majority of people make the hood detachable so it can be stored in the boot (trunk) or behind the seats...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:40 am

If you want originality then the hood stays permanently attached and is stored in the hood tray (so not taking up room in the boot or behind the seats).

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:07 am

Elanman99 wrote:If you want originality then the hood stays permanently attached and is stored in the hood tray (so not taking up room in the boot or behind the seats).

Ian

and you stick with doughnuts, a lucas dynamo & a lucas starter.... and the car stays in the garage... :twisted:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 am

pharriso wrote:
Elanman99 wrote:If you want originality then the hood stays permanently attached and is stored in the hood tray (so not taking up room in the boot or behind the seats).

Ian

and you stick with doughnuts, a lucas dynamo & a lucas starter.... and the car stays in the garage... :twisted:

Oh, its not really that bad.

My car is absolutely 'original'. It has CV shafts, but Lucas mostly Lucas electricals as well as totally non original instruments, different wheels, dashboard, ali fuel tank, motorised headlamp pods and many many other changes that I have done since buying it new as a kit. Some mods were done almost from day one so are almost original to the car.

I dont like the idea of a detachable hood though. To my knowledge though none of the currently available replacement hoods fold and pack into the tray as well as the original hood did. Lots of 'pattern' parts have been created by blindly or roughly copying old examples and the 'Chinese whispers' effect comes into play so we end up with a poor fit. (Bottom radiator hose is another example).

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Pardon the slight hijack.

I did not know that the hood on an S3 is permanently attached. My Sprint hood is removable (though I fold it into the tray) - is that "original"? Or was mine originally permanently attached?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:29 pm

steve lyle wrote:Pardon the slight hijack.

I did not know that the hood on an S3 is permanently attached. My Sprint hood is removable (though I fold it into the tray) - is that "original"? Or was mine originally permanently attached?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, they were all "permanently" attached by the centre fasteners.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the input.

I folded the top last night and put it in the tray. I don't think the plastic windows will like long term storage in this manor. I think I will use the trunk storage method since the top won't be used often.

I just noticed that I got the title for this post wrong. I'm still trying to get used to the boot, hood, bonnett thing.

Thanks,
Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi Rick

I fold up my top/hood and store it in the hood tray without any permanent damage to the windows. If you look in your car handbook it will show you how to fold the hood/top such that it will fit in the hood tray.

For information even though I have a Sprint the hood is not permanently attached to the hood tray.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

Hi Steve,
As per Phil’s reply. The hood is permanently attached under the 7 rearmost, male tenax fasteners.
Cheers,
Colin.

uote="steve lyle"]Pardon the slight hijack.

Thanks,
Steve[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 am

pharriso wrote:

Ian

Still got all 3 on my Sprint and it doesn't stay in the garage :wink: :wink:
I just fitted it's first Cigar Lighter so i can plug-in the GPS for driving here in Brittany 8)
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: