Elan Front bumper spacer

PostPost by: JLescenski » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:00 pm

Ok, it might not actually be a spacer, but looking at where the front bumper mounts to the body, mounted onto the body, there seems to be some kind of spacer where the top part of the bumper touches the body. A section of mine is missing and trying to figure out the best way to replace it. That is if it is supposed to be there. You can see it in the following pictures with and without the bumper in place.
IMG_5425.jpg and

IMG_5426 (1).jpg and

IMG_5427 (1).jpg and

IMG_5428 (1).jpg and

IMG_5429 (1).jpg and

IMG_5430 (1).jpg and

John L
65 S2 in-process
JLescenski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:56 am

Originally there would have been a 'chromed' plastic trim strip that covered the small gap between the bumper and the body. Hard to tell from the photos if what you have is remnants of that original trim strip or some sort of filler strip added at a later date. I've had several Elans, and only one came with the original trim, the others having various rubber trims installed, or in one case the bumper just 'glassed into the body.

The original trim strips are, I believe, available from the usual Lotus suppliers, but they are difficult to install and have them look correct where they twist and turn at the outer corners of the bumper. Many just finish the body/bumper to have a small and even gap at the top and leave the trim strip out.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:43 am

Think I remember reading somewhere that the claylastic chrome strip was sometimes held in place with filler. Have you maybe just got the remnants of that?
Last edited by elanfan1 on Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:40 am

This thread has come up at an appropriate time !

My chrome strip has somehow gone “milky” - can’t clean it with polish etc, so I guess replacement is in order.

I’ve seen lots of threads on how to reinstall them, but none on on how to remove it without damaging the excellent paint around it,

Any hints or tips?

Thanks,
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:49 am

If you want to be extra careful with your paint perhaps remove the bumper?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:22 pm

I seem to recall Sue Miller explaining how to replace the chrome strip in her Elan parts catalogue along with fitting new sprint stripes and reshaping the doors to fit flush. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:19 pm

JimE wrote:I seem to recall Sue Miller explaining how to replace the chrome strip in her Elan parts catalogue along with fitting new sprint stripes and reshaping the doors to fit flush. Jim

From Sue Miller:

Small Tips to Enhance your Elan (Mick Miller)

MickMiller_ElanTips2018red.pdf
(909.82 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

The bumper strip was the factory's solution to hiding the gap and any irregularities between the body and the front bumper. It takes time and care to get these to fit together properly without the strip, but results in a cleaner look without an extraneous (to me) filler strip that breaks up the lines of the body:

IMG_3328.jpeg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:23 pm

Miles Wilkins (Fibreglass Services, now just parts supplier Lotpart) used to hold them in place with thin nails, almost pins, tapped through the trapped part into the bodywork before fitting the bumper itself. He and Ian claimed that putting the filler strip into warm water would allow it to be moulded to shape more easily.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Hello
+1
[/quote]The bumper strip was the factory's solution to hiding the gap and any irregularities between the body and the front bumper. It takes time and care to get these to fit together properly without the strip, but results in a cleaner look without an extraneous (to me) filler strip that breaks up the lines of the body:

I've done it .
The Bumper new filled with 2K PU Foam wich one can to buy in do-it-yourself stors. :wink:
20190906_153758.jpg and

Urs
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: