Unusual Steering Wheel Badge?

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:19 am

Has anyone seen this steering wheel centre trim before? It's from my early Plus 2 which has the mini style indicator switch with the integral horn switch. There is no horn push, or pencil or the other bits inside the boss. The steering column does have the earthing strap at the rack end though.

The steering wheel appears to the be the correct large diameter Colin Chapman signature type.

I haven't seen it available from the usual suspects, nor on pictures from other cars. I quite like it, and would like to source another as the edge is missing a little bit by a ham fisted previous owner/mechanic. No part numbers on it or anything Any ideas?

Badge1.jpg and
Badge Front

Badge 2.jpg and
Badge Rear
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 am

That’s the centre from a late Sprint or Plus 2S 130 steering wheel, the spokes radiating from the central emblem being the giveaway.

Earlier versions had a mottled finish in stead of the spokes.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 am

My Jan 68 has the correct badge, I will upload a photo.
Not sure where to get one, fortunately not had to buy one, but mine is starting to look its age.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:15 am

Chris that horn push is quite rare and probably worth quite a bit. Shame it’s been damaged. In your shoes I’d try to repair it. If you can find a small piece of donor plastic, cut and file to shape and then attach that using black Milliput. 24 hours later it should be rock solid leaving you trim off any excess, file and sand smooth. Finally mask off the edge and repaint. I think you could get a very good result. Milliput is fantastic stuff, it comes in two separate little blocks, cut off what you need, mix it together and you’ve got a couple of hours before it hardens. It’s mouldable and quite easy to work with. If you give it a go take photos and show us how well it comes out. Good luck!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:12 am

Chris.
Having taken the photos and Tims “mottled” comment I am not sure if it is correct.

I’ve owned the car from 1975, but the previous owner was a machinist and he could have made the alum badge retainer to hold a different badge, really not sure.

Perhaps Tim could comment.

Steering Wheel1.jpg and

Steering Badge.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 am

Trevor,

Never seen anything like that before. Looks like a one off to me.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 am

Steve.

Thanks for your clarification.

I'll be on the look out for the correct parts, my take some time.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:51 am

Here's a picture of the later flatter horn push on a 130/5:
Elan_S1305_5_SteeringWheelBoss.jpg and

This is the earlier style of the (later) flat horn badge with leather insert on my Feb 1972 Sprint:
0260K_HornPushCurrent.jpg and

As has been mentioned, the later style is quite rare & sought after, just ask Ted Taylor :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: abstamaria » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:59 pm

All very interesting. Thank you!
abstamaria
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:02 pm

The one with radialised spokes was also used in Europas. It’s probable that by the time the last Elans and Plus 2s were being despatched, they just used whatever was on the shelf !
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 pm

A good time to bring up two questions I have:

My horn push is the same but the actual badge surround with the radiating lines is coloured Bordeaux Red, the same as the original car colour - would this have been a factory jobbie, or afterwards?

IMG_0484.jpg and

My second question: does anyone know if it is possible to refurbish the bonnet badge? Mine has gone cloudy in a couple of places and wondered if I scraped away the black from behind where the moisture has attacked it, cleaned the area and re-applied some gloss black if it would work, or be more of a mess?

IMG_0485.jpg and

Looking at the two logos above, the fonts are different. I guess in those days they did not worry too much about such fineries - or did they? I am making a mould for an airbox to take 90mm trumpets and plan on having the word lotus embossed in the top of the box, and wondered what font should be used...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:17 pm

I like the alloy ring. It may not be OE but looks "correct".
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks everyone! Yep, looks like it's the Plus 2 S130.

I'll have a go at fixing it, doesn't sound like I'll find a new one anywhere!
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am

HCA wrote:A good time to bring up two questions I have:

My horn push is the same but the actual badge surround with the radiating lines is coloured Bordeaux Red, the same as the original car colour - would this have been a factory jobbie, or afterwards?

That is certainly an owner mod, quite well done by the look of it.

HCA wrote:My second question: does anyone know if it is possible to refurbish the bonnet badge? Mine has gone cloudy in a couple of places and wondered if I scraped away the black from behind where the moisture has attacked it, cleaned the area and re-applied some gloss black if it would work, or be more of a mess?

The badges are usually enamel, maybe you can touch it up... but they are usually available from Matty/Sue Miller for not too much. Have fun researching the relevance of the Black badge...

HCA wrote:Looking at the two logos above, the fonts are different. I guess in those days they did not worry too much about such fineries - or did they? I am making a mould for an airbox to take 90mm trumpets and plan on having the word lotus embossed in the top of the box, and wondered what font should be used...

2 different fonts by intention, the one on your hood has the "San Serif" font (means without serifs on the end of the characters), while the horn push is the original font with Serifs. Anoraks love stuff like this ! :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: