Adding an access hole

PostPost by: fattogatto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:03 pm

It seems waterproof as there is a reasonable lip, I drilled a half-inch hole to pull it open and filled that with a half-inch hole plug. I guess a bit of silver tape over the unit would be like belts and braces but isn't a bad idea.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:01 am

I bought a replacement driveshaft rubber access plug from Bean or RD Ent, used a hole saw to cut the forward well of the boot behind the diff to acess the fill plug. Ref. 26B0371 $19.00
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris-72sprint » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:31 pm

ericbushby wrote:Hi Chris,
Thankyou, I am very pleased with the priming pump.
I fitted a double pole spring return toggle switch bracketed off the back of the dashboard fixing screw and ran a twin wire alongside the wiring loom to the boot. This way all wiring near the petrol tank is disconnected except during priming.
So I just need to reach under the dash to pull the switch back for a few seconds.
The pump is a cheapo Facet lookalike cube pump from ebay for about £12.00
I chose that type because they have a reputation for being noisy so I can hear when the pump slows, then the float chambers are full. Also, when I compared the photos of the Facet and this one they appeared identical and with the exact same accesories.
It seems to have very little restriction, in fact you can breath through it.
I bench tested it and it didn`t seem to mind how it was orientated, so I fitted it upside down to make the pipe run easier. Should it fail because of this, then it does not matter temporarily as then I revert to the original system, just using the engine pump.
We did two Elans like this in March 2018 and so far so good.
10 seconds priming and the engine starts immediately.
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley

Eric (and Mr Bonus)
Thanks for your replies - I will do the same 8)
Chris-72sprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: