Suitable paint for inside nosecone

PostPost by: alanr » Tue May 12, 2020 5:20 pm

I am cleaning/tidying up inside the nosecone of my +2, radiator and vacuum units out and being painted etc., and I have been looking for a suitable matt or satin black paint that I can just brush on to the actual inside of the fibreglass nosecone. My immediate thought was to use a marine/yacht fibreglass paint for its hard wearing qualities but it may be a bit expensive and over the top for the purpose.
Wondering what others have used? Any alternative thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks,

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi Alan
I am about to use this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2297773713?iid ... N0QAvD_BwE

I have already used it to protect under the shell - it goes on pretty well and I will probably use it in the boot also.
Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi John,
That looks interesting thanks, I haven't come across that before and it looks like really durable and ideal stuff for the job especially if building up a bodyshell.
Just thinking though...Spraying inside the nosecone on a car that is already built up like mine may just be difficult to do hence my ideal first choice would really be something brushable.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Have a look at Halfords Matt black enamel. I have used it previously, painting inside the bonnet and wheel arches on an earlier restoration with excellent results. I’ll use for the inside of the nose cone.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed May 13, 2020 7:17 am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the heads up about Halfords enamel...I 'll have a look.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am

I've used the Halfords Satin enamel on various parts including the inside of the bonnet and it seems fine.

The Raptor coating looks good for underneath to stop stone chip etc. Can you give an indication of the coverage, will 4 packs do the job? Is it brushable?

Thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm

alanr wrote:I am cleaning/tidying up inside the nosecone of my +2, radiator and vacuum units out and being painted etc., and I have been looking for a suitable matt or satin black paint that I can just brush on to the actual inside of the fibreglass nosecone. My immediate thought was to use a marine/yacht fibreglass paint for its hard wearing qualities but it may be a bit expensive and over the top for the purpose.
Wondering what others have used? Any alternative thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks,

Alan.

I had some Rustoleum flat black lying about the house for a few years and it worked great. Plus, the body will never rust out from the inside. :wink:

Go to the hardware store and find a cheap latex. Because it flattens when it dries, you won't see any brush marks. Cheap spray cans will work as well, but more likely to get runs.
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi Mike
Sorry for the delay in replying, 1 pack/4 cans covered the underside of my +2. I sprayed it on but i believe that it can be rolled, not sure about brushing.
20170305_101633.jpg and

A picture to show the finish.
Cheers
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: