+2 windscreen origin?

PostPost by: HCA » Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 am

Is anybody able to confirm, please, the origin of the +2 front winscreen?

One mention in the archive is that someone 'thought' it was from the TVR M series, but this was never confirmed.

(I am looking for a heated windscreen - cannot find one for the +2, but the TVR one is not a problem, except it cannot be returned if it does not fit :cry: )

Thanks
Hal
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue May 12, 2020 7:40 am

The original Ford Consul Corsair. It was also used on the Reliant Scimitar and possibly others too.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue May 12, 2020 7:45 am

...and let's not forget the Gordon Keeble :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 am

Wow Mike! Quick! :D Do let the ink dry won't you :D :D

You are obviously sure of this, so, great, thanks so much!

You are right, the Corsair screen was a common item in many 'kit' cars. I think it emanated from the old Capri - either way it was a popular screen and makes sense it was used on the +2.

Thanks again!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 12, 2020 8:35 am

Ford "Classic" and "1st Capris" 1963 and TVR "M" series try "Uroglas" for heated front screen
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 am

That is who I tried Alan, thanks. Problem is that I am on record saying that I want the screen that they market for a TVR, to try on the Elan. Hence they will not take it back if it does not fit now that they know I want it for an Elan! :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 pm

HCA wrote:Wow Mike! Quick! :D Do let the ink dry won't you :D :D

You are obviously sure of this, so, great, thanks so much!

You are right, the Corsair screen was a common item in many 'kit' cars. I think it emanated from the old Capri - either way it was a popular screen and makes sense it was used on the +2.

Thanks again!

You're absolutely right I mean't the original Consul Capri (as opposed to the long running later model) not Corsair!
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 pm

As it happens, this afternoon Ricky Evans Motorsport came back saying they have a screen for an Elan +2. On questioning they confirmed it is definitely Elan, so regardless of what else it might fit, I have recourse if it does not fit! And it is £6 cheaper than Uroglass :D Just waiting for shipping cost :x
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

HCA wrote:As it happens, this afternoon Ricky Evans Motorsport came back saying they have a screen for an Elan +2. On questioning they confirmed it is definitely Elan, so regardless of what else it might fit, I have recourse if it does not fit! And it is £6 cheaper than Uroglass :D Just waiting for shipping cost :x

But will it fit.
I know from "Uroglas" they do fit, i've fitted a heated "clear screen" one a few years ago. I was lucky they had one in stock and got it for the old price + delivery to the door. It was a left over from when some TVR owners did a group buy.
The total price including vat and delivery £328. I don't know how that compares today
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gopherit » Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm

As it happens I have been looking for a new windscreen. What I have found - which concurs with some of the previous replies - is the following:

Screen was originally from the Ford Classic Capri 2 door Coupe. Also used on the Reliant Scimitar SE5/5A and the Elan Plus Two.
Pilkington have this listed as:
3515 FORD 109E,116E,CAPRI,RELIANT SCIMIT (1961-1964)
Screens can be a variety of specs these days:
Clear
Tinted Green
Clear tinted top green
Clear tinted top Blue
Tinted green top blue

If you are matching the existing windows, firstly check your side windows to see if they are tinted - you may be surprised. Hold a sheet of white paper behind the glass half, half out (you know the feeling!), compare the colours you see. If like me you are "vulnerable" wear your reading glasses!

I thought my (destroyed in fire, see another post made recently) windscreen had been clear but turned out to be tinted green. The person who has been exceptionally helpful in sorting this out I came by on the Reliant Owners Forum. His name is Phil Lomas and contact details are:

Phil Lomas
Managing Director
Mobile Windscreens Ltd trading as National Windscreens
Tel: 0117 304 2000

Mobile: 07836794616
E-mail: [email protected]
Visit our website: www.nationalwindscreens.co.uk

Price seemed good to me for a genuine Pilkington screen - now made in Finland - about the same ballpark as the RSSOC, possibly a bit dearer but still cheaper than the usual offenders AND he knows these screens and the fitting problems that can occur. Hence I am ordering from him.

..and many thanks to Bill who lives nearby and has answered my request re an old screen for a trial fit!

paul
It's not a rehearsal
Gopherit
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 am

Hi Hal,
Do you live in France.
If so look at "TVR CLUB FRANCE" FORUM.
You can join it's free to everyone.
There is someone with TVR "T" Slots for sale and also TVR WINDSCREEN SAME AS PLUS 2 ELAN.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 am

Thanks Alan - is it a heated screen though?

Edit:

I just looked in petites annonces - is it the ad from Fred? He lists it just pare-brise pour une 3000M - a thought here. I seem to remember from my TVR days that the 3000M differed from the 1600M in many areas with one being the windscreen. I need to check this out.

I'd rather not join a new forum just for one question and clutter up my mac even more than it is. May I ask a favour please? Would you ask Fred if the windscreen is electrique/heated please?

Thanks
Hal
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 am

All the TVR "M" series(1300M,1600M,2500M,3000M) windscreens are the same. I know i have fitted them and owned a 1600M and now a 3000M.
The only that is different is the 1978 3000S Cabriolet which has a different body.
The Screen that Fred has for sale is a second one a normal screen.
I thought if you need a Screen to fit now it could be a good idea and cheaper than a new + it's in France.
Best to contact Fred
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu May 14, 2020 8:26 am

I remember now - in fact I should have remembered at the outset as a buddy of mine who was well in with TVR, 'obtained' the 3000M that was used to coin the convertible (it was a TVR company car that rolled) and at the time they had real problems with the screen. In the end we took it off their hands and used it [unsuccessfully :D ] for hill climbs.
IMG_1209.jpg and

Re the screen - it must be electric as it would be the demister if I go ahead and put aircon into the Lotus. A used one in France would be welcomed, but not the end of the world! thanks for noting it though.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 pm

Has anyone got a good source for +2 windscreens in Australia?
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: