Where to buy sill lattices in the UK?

PostPost by: Luke » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum after picking up a '66 preairflow FHC that is going to be getting a full nut and bolt restoration.

The first job is to replace the sill lattices that have rotten out both sides, luckily it hasn't blown out the door sill on the outside. I have a couple of questions:
- Is there a supplier for the lattices in the UK?
- Are there any reinforcements or improvements in this area that can be done during the process?

Thanks in advance
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:18 am

Last year I bought mine from Boss Motors. Only problem was that they did not want to ship it to Germany.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:03 am

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum. The S3 fhc is a great Elan, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Are the lattices too far gone to repair? Many years ago I replaced the lattices on a S2, it was a horrible job, but I managed it.

Please post some pictures of your car.

Cheerio,

Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Luke » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:46 am

gherlt wrote:Last year I bought mine from Boss Motors. Only problem was that they did not want to ship it to Germany.

Thank you I will give them a call today.

Mazzini wrote:Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum. The S3 fhc is a great Elan, I hope you'll enjoy it.

Are the lattices too far gone to repair? Many years ago I replaced the lattices on a S2, it was a horrible job, but I managed it.

Please post some pictures of your car.

Cheerio,

Rob

Thanks Rob.

The lower horizontal rebar needs replacement on both sides as well as the connecting pieces up to about half their height, we are actually planning on a half replacement, half repair.
The idea is to remove and replace the full lattice until roughly half way up the vertical sections either side of the door where there is good access around the rebar sections, this will mean we only need to weld in 8 spots for the entire repair as all the connecting pieces will be left intact. I have lots of experience with composites so the extra gfrp work does not bother me.

IMG_2975.jpg and
Here is a pic from when we picked it up, 36/5550. It will be going back to its original BRG colour and probably replacing the S4 wheel arches that were added after a crash.
'66 Pre-Airflow S3, 36/5550 (under construction)
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:51 pm

You could consider removing the lot, the extra GRP work is less hassle to my mind than the extra welding, and put in aluminium ones, which TTR use. I don't see them separately for sale but they must have them.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jerryh » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15161

Have a look at this old thread this is how I replaced mine and it was pretty straight forward.
jerryh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Luke » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm

jerryh wrote:https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15161

Have a look at this old thread this is how I replaced mine and it was pretty straight forward.

I have already read through that thread and got a lot of good information from it thank you.

We have now ordered the material required to fabricate replacements, I will update this thread with some pictures once it is done!
'66 Pre-Airflow S3, 36/5550 (under construction)
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: