Chassis

PostPost by: redcarandco » Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Dear All of you I have a question and please give me an answer only if you are absolutely sure to know...A very good friend of mine (historic racer as I am)is renewing the HTP (Historic technical passport) of his super well known genuine 26 R and he has been told by FIA the car which is a very early S1 appears to have an S2 chassis and find that after 3 former HTP ??????? Can somebody tell me which difference exists (if it exists) between a 26 R chassis S1 and S2 I am very curious to know....The reason my friend does not asks the question himself is that his english is still bader than mine the only words he can say in english are "lotus" and "elan"....Thank you to help I know that somewhere in this forum is the answer...
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:11 pm

I personally would ask the FIA to produce evidence of the differences they claim to exist between the S1 and S2 26R chassis. Is there anything listed in the homologation papers ?

Given the records kept by Lotus are non existent and that most race cars were continually modified during their early construction and early racing life I don't see how anyone could conclusively prove anything which is the case with most of these type of questions

best of luck to your friend in sorting out his HTP issues.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri May 24, 2019 8:37 am

I tend to think that when getting into legalese, actual terms do count, and it would be useful if not necessary to see the exact terms used by the certifying body.

Also what comes to mind is the outcome of their allegations : what is the conclusion they draw, what consequence would that have on renewing the HTP of that car ?

ps: closer to your friend an other 26R owner in Belgium - actually same firstname as yours - may be of help (you probably have come across him at one point or an other, his car is totally red bumpers included and has perspex light covers, he has owned the car for 40+ years so would know about HTP renewal)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi Roger
The only difference between the S1 26R chassis and the S2 26R chassis is that the rear section above the differential is moved upwards by approx 3/4 inches.
This includes the uprights which hold the lotocones for the rear suspension..

This should not present a problem for FIA papers as both chassis have been homologated and are currently in use by many 26R's and so called GTS Elans.

The att'd pic is from an original S2 Elan 26R and shows the diff mounting area is higher than the Y section which runs towards the front of the car.

I hope that helps

Could you PM me the details of the car in question please?

Regards
Dave Hughes
Attachments
img_1636.jpg and
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 pm

It's the high back chassis in the S2, as Dave says.
Most people replacing a chassis will be changing in favour of the high back as it makes getting the diff out slightly easier.
It confers no performance improvement.
The FIA were denying passports as a glovebox didn't have hinges. Pathetic. Trouble is Elans are too competitive.
I don't know if the high back chassis is homologated in the S1, I'm not clear from Dave's reply if he's saying that he knows that a S1 can run the s2 chassis or not. The point is that they are all running them and no one has batted an eyelid thus far, sorry that doesn't help you. You need the homologation papers.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat May 25, 2019 4:47 am

I knew I was going to have the answer in this place and I am always amazed by the sum of knowledge this forum represents.....And thanks to "nmauduit" ...of course I cross every day the road of this belgian boy ....I am this 26 R owner... (but the red one is not a genuine R but I also own 26R 14 which is almost rebuilt ...)And once again many many thanks to all of you I have already transmit the messages and he is going to contact the person of fia at gen?ve
Very very best regards
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redcarandco » Sat May 25, 2019 5:00 am

Dear Dave the car in question is the former car of Tony Thompson (the "shapecraft) I am not sure of chassis n? but I think must be 26 R 20??? but not sure at all..... the owner is a very discreet person but he is a regular entrant in french races and in Peter auto events...very best regards
Roger
redcarandco
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:56 am

I have copies of the homologation papers if he wants, however, I've skipped through them and I can't on rough inspection see mention of the high back chassis changes
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm

redcarandco wrote:I knew I was going to have the answer in this place and I am always amazed by the sum of knowledge this forum represents.....And thanks to "nmauduit" ...of course I cross every day the road of this belgian boy ....I am this 26 R owner... (but the red one is not a genuine R but I also own 26R 14 which is almost rebuilt ...)And once again many many thanks to all of you I have already transmit the messages and he is going to contact the person of fia at gen?ve
Very very best regards
Roger

Hello Roger,

I was not sure you owned both cars hence the allusion... I know about your red car (last time we discussed around it at length was in Dijon) - if you end up really stuck with the FIA I may have access to someone in Geneva who should be sympathetic to Lotus and might be of help, let me know via PM then.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: