Which sills?

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm

I need to replace the sills in my Plus 2 and apparently there is no US supplier for them or any of the US suppliers holding inventory.
It would appear that my UK choices are SJ; Matty and Spyder.
The pictures from each supplier seem slightly different.
Would anybody be able to provide me with insight into which might be best and why?
Am I missing someone?
None of them seem to duplicate the original jack mounting point - is that correct?

I have bought and had product shipped from all three, so have no issues using any of the three.

Thanks for any assistance available.

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 pm

I would suggest SJSPORTSCARS because they are Stainless Steel.
As for the Jacking points they are only to change the Wheel if you have a Flat.
When i jack up a +2 i put a thick Plank of wood along the full length of the Sill then trolley Jack under the Plank.
Alan
p.s. you are missing PNM ENGINEERING, UNIT 2, NEW WAY BUSINESS CENTRE, OAKDALE ROAD, WALLASSEY CH44 7HT. TEL 44(0)151 630 6101
Last edited by alan.barker on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:20 pm

I've only replaced two sets in my time, one was many years ago (i think they were Paul Matty supplied) but fairly recently i fitted a set of Spyder sills.

My honest opinion is just go straight to the Spyder sills, they look like the old Christopher Neil sills (scaffolding pipe running the length) the ones i fitted were galv coated and well made. I'd have no problem recommending them.

I like the little extra protection from side impacts too as a Lotus is basically made from digestive biscuit.

The only down side i found they were a bit tight / struggle to fit but they are much more beefy than the stock pressed steel rubbish.

They are quite substantial so shipping may be an issue though??
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:33 pm

I'd go for the Spyder ones as well. They will still be in perfect condition long after cars are banned from the road!

They can also be fitted without removing the rear strut, which I believe is required to fit the original folded metal ones.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:45 pm

I have fitted original Lotus Sills without removing the Rear Strut no problem.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Thanks
I am going to get shipping quotes from Snyder and Marty
Nickj
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mick6186 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm

The Spyder sills have tubular jacking points in the same position as the original Lotus fitment,
Mick
Mick6186
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

I think a few people have had them made by local fabricators. There not very complicated so should be possible and likely save a lot with the shipping.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:30 pm

I have just fitted SJS stainless steel sills. Fitted perfectly and won?t rot. The only problem is drilling the stainless to fit the bolts. It just takes time.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:38 pm

I had mine locally made in Sacramento, CA before moving out to the wilds of Nevada. In Omaha, I wouldn't think you'd have any problem finding a shop that could fold and weld up replacement sills in 16GA. That is if your sills are still solid enough to use as patterns. Mine were pretty cheap (under $100 for both) in mild steel. I would think stainless would be considerably more expensive and IMHO aren't worth the difference, unless of course you're thirty and plan on keeping the car another fifty or sixty years. :D

Edit: I didn't have the fabricator that made my sills put in the jack points. I made those and welded them in myself.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Bud English wrote:I would think stainless would be considerably more expensive and IMHO aren't worth the difference, unless of course you're thirty and plan on keeping the car another fifty or sixty years. :D

I was 22 when I replaced the sills in my car. there was about 18 inches left IIRC, all 4 jack points came out with my hands

I used Spyder

34 years so far.........
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with aftermarket sills and with the right finish they will surely last longer than the originals.

When you're 5000 miles away from the source and perfectly good replacement parts are easily fabricated, it's hard to justify paying retail prices plus shipping. The name's English but I think there's a wee bit of Scot in me as well.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 pm

arrival-1.jpg and
My recently purchased 1970 Plus 2 arrived a couple of weeks ago and I am in the process of re-commissioning after what appears to have been a 20+ year slumber. In addition to the things I had expected, I discovered the rusty sill reinforcements so lacking any advice to Nick I'll ask a couple of questions.
I am new to Lotus so apologies in advance for my ignorance (and hijacking Nick's post).
First, I think I found, at one point, a picture of the "SJ" stainless sill but lost track somewhere. Perhaps someone has a link.
Second, since from what little I can see, which is lots of rust, I doubt if there will be enough old sill for a pattern. Would there possibly be a print of the part in the literature somewhere?
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Nice looking Plus 2, love the sunroof (:

Heres the link to SJ for the sill pictures.

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... 0B0002.htm

Nick
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks Nick, very helpful. Probably the way to go even with another hundred or so for shipping. I'll try to get a quote from them today. I've also thought about making a plywood pattern and fabricating my own but from past experience that increases the repair time exponentially.
Sun roof is another project, leaks of course and will require headliner replacement as well as leak repair. I'll be looking for advice on getting the glass out of the windshields at some point.
By the way, I'm the codger in the red jacket.
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: