Lotus Elan

Fixed head to Drop head and DVLA

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm

With another thread discussing q plates , does anybody know how DVLA react to fixed head to drop head conversions

My car is a genuine type 45 but unusually it?s been converted to a fixed head , I am thinking of restoring it back to a drop head but am unsure how DVLA record the change , if they were to declare it a major alteration and issue a Q plate it would kill off the idea

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Oddly, my Type 45 was a FHC when purchased, now back to DHC.
I can't recall exactly ( had the car since '86) but I think I notified the DVLA that there was an inaccuracy on the V5 and they changed it to DHC without a quibble. Was a long time ago.
If yours was a DHC out the factory then there will be evidence to say so. You too could claim an inaccuracy??
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Mine was a type 36 but fitted with a new DHC body. I asked the dvla to change it, initially they refused but when I pointed out that I could get stopped by the police as the car wouldn?t match the record they relented and changed it.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I phoned DVLA today and they just said once the change was made sent pictures including the registration and they would update the log book. I hope it really is that simple.

I quite like the idea of putting it back to a DHC , even though it?s expensive , but then most hobbies are

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 am

I guess it can be changed like Colour or transmission type, it sounds like the problem is when you swap the body or chassis/Subframe/Frame for anything other than factory spec.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: