Fitting new front bumper to Elan S4

PostPost by: roebuck » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 am

Hi,
I have a replacement front bumper from Paul Matty and now need to fit it.
Front of the car has had a poor repairs over the years and the old bumper had to 2 bolts for attachment only.
The bumper is also badly filled with some type of foam.
Do I need to fill the new bumper with foam and if so what product do I use.

In one forum it says that the S4 had a central attachment. On my car there is no sign of this.
Any help greatly received.
Rob
roebuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: knockoffnut » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I believe that most cars had one two bolts holding the front bumper. Some S4 front bumpers had a flat central recess as a "central number plate mounting." Some were bolted from the inside out with threaded bobbins in the bumper, but most used round head bumper bolts from the outside, through bobbins, with nuts in the fenderwells. These are available as replacement items from ANG classic car parts dot co dot uk , for example. Bumpers were foam filled at the factory. I don't think the foam offers any real protection, but it does stop them from squeaking or rattling. I am considering using low expansion spray foam window insulation against a cling film backing over the bodywork, to fill my new bumpers. Does anyone have a better option and procedure for filling bumpers?
1963 Unicorn
1964 S1
1965 S2
1967 S3 SE DHC
Frankentwincam 26R
Seven S2 A
Seven S2 F
knockoffnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Barney » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Not saying this is a good or bad method, just the way somebody else has tackled it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6oaLbvvC4
Elan S2 DHC (26-4399),
Barney
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: roebuck » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:28 am

thank you for your help
roebuck
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: