Elan +2 chrome sill strip

PostPost by: Dieschelan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:31 am

Hi

Can someone explain me the mounting of the chrome strips. There are 2 options in the position of the clips. And I don?t know how to mount the strip.

regards

Diego
Attachments
sill1.jpg and
sill2.jpg and
Dieschelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

That?s one of my next jobs, my understanding is that the second picture is the right way. You hook the top of the strip over the spikes at the top then click the strip over the bottom to secure it in place. Having said that, I?ve opted for the plastic clips rather than the metal version as I found that my original metal ones and their securing screws had corroded, hence my choice of plastic
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm

they can take some persuading to clip in too so be careful not to go too heavy and dint the trim.

also try to have help doing it to hold the trim. I so nearly ended up scratching my brand new paint wrestling with the trim to clip it in but luckily it was minor and polished out :oops:
davidc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Diego,

Yes its the 2nd photo.
Also the strip shape fits a particular way; see photo below; hanging it on the ears and a hard hand push on the bottom of the strip.

Also its important to ensure that all the fixings are in a straight line, this makes the fitting of the strip easier, because if one is out of line its makes fitting very difficult.

clip.jpg and

trim.jpg and
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:58 pm

You need the rubber bungs for the ends of the strip to :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker