asbestos in the fiberglass body?

PostPost by: David tye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:35 am

Hi, I've just bought a series 4 elan and a Europa twin cam in the US. I want to import them into Australia.
Australian customs have reacted recently after allowing asbestos from China into Australia in building products.
cars being imported to Australia (after I made the purchases) now have zero asbestos tolerance. so that would be clutch, brake pads, head gasket, exhaust gasket. is there anywhere else on the car that people can think of?
could there be asbestos in the fiberglass?
any help that can be substantiated for customs would be helpful.
cheers,
david
David tye
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 am

If there was much asbestos in the fibreglass not so many would have been lost to fire. It's just GRP how you PROVE this to customs I don't know, proving a negative is nigh on impossible.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 am

I cut a hole in my roof to fit a sunroof and have a large piece of it in the shed...I could post you a piece,you could have it analysed in an approved lab and offer to the authorities...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 am

Hi David

The only possible use of Asbestos that I can think of might possibly , and I stress possibly , contain asbestos is if your car(s) have heat shields that are fixed to the body work to shield the silencer heat from the body work. The +2s has such a shield but I cannot confirm it has asbestos in it. On my +2s the heat shield was a sandwich of two thin metal sheet with some thermal insulation between them and the whole sandwich was pop riveted together.

If that was a concern you could remove the heat shield and discard it before you import, then make one up using approved materials. Though discarding might involve regulations depending on the rules in the country the cars are currently in.

I would be very surprised if the GRP body shell components contained Asbestos but the test on a small piece as suggested would be a very good idea.

Hope this helps best of luck

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:38 am

I thought you were innocent until proven guilty :) There's lots of lotus cars in Aussie already.
They will be checking the Tyres to see if they have been hot pressure washed and see if there is any mud in the tread pattern with a cotten bud :lol:
Maybe Rohan can help
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

I just had a large machine being imported out of NZ to Australia held up for a month at the port and about $20k additional cost due to mud on its feet, so its a sensitive topic with me currently :)

My guess is you need to understand in detail what rules the customs are now applying around asbestos in imported new or second hand cars and how they expect you to demonstrate compliance.

It is highly unlikely that any original potential asbestos bearing components remain in the cars as they were wearing components and like Australia I don't think asbestos has been allowed in car components in the USA since the early 80's but if they require you prove things that may contain asbestos don't, then easiest to just remove them and replace with certified new components if you need the cars to be drive-able.

Potentially you could get a statement from Lotus that the GRP bodies don't contain asbestos if customs are looking for some proof around the body itself. Lotus currently import cars into Australia so they must know how they demonstrate compliance. Talk to SImply Sports Cars in Sydney who currently manage the imports about what if anything they do.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:05 am

The Europa TC has an asbestos heat shield under the luggage box, over the silencer. It can be removed.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:16 pm

The +2 exhaust heat shield has white asbestos sandwiched inside 2 aluminium sheets.

You can replace it with a non-asbestos modern alternative heat shield sheet cut to size if required.

I am not sure about the series 4 Elan or the Europa.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:40 pm

I would suggest you remove the Air Filters also as they may have Flies or something stuck in them.
My brother inlaw was stopped in NZ Auckland Airport because his hand luggage still smelled of a banana :shock: he had eaten at the transfer Airport in Korea. Well over the top, the controls are crazy :?
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David tye » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. Lotus Cars Limited have advised that:
"they are confident that whilst Asbestos was used in some applications for heat shielding purposes, these would have been separate components , mechanically secured and NOT incorporated into the lamination process for the body itself. To the best of our knowledge, Asbestos has never been used when laminating body shells for any Lotus models."
once again thanks to everyone that helped.
David tye
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: